Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Desserts?

Grilled Desserts?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:31 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

As I was reading a post on banana cream pie I got to wondering, what desserts have you grilled?
I have done the pineapple on the grill but without the coconut, as my wife doesn't like coconut. I coated it with cinnamon sugar and then served on top of vanilla ice cream. Boy what a hit it was!

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:33 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Oh yeah, if you are looking for something extra to add to a steak or chicken, try grilling an orange or grapefruit. Just slice it in half and throw on the grill. The sugar carmelizes and the fruit adds a nice alternative to something spicy or as a little jolt of sweetness.

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:02 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've done peaches, apples and pears all as steve suggeats or a variation thereof and all were fantastic.

Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:37 pm
jclapp raw
raw

I've tried several, but the only one I wasn't crazy about was the stuffed pears from HTG...just too much work for the final result. (fine, but not nearly as good as the grilled pineapple)

An aside about the coconut milk...unless your wife is allergic to it, she'll never notice it. The coconut milk just adds a "rich" flavor (like adding cream in a way) to the pineapple. My wife HATES coconut, but she loves the grilled pineapple with it. (All said, it's not a BIG difference, just slightly richer)
Happy Grilling!

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:49 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We're going to grill pineapple for dinner. Do you think substituing heavy cream for the coconut milk would work or will the cream burn?

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:14 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The simple solution to "my wife doesn't like" problems is don't tell her what she's eating or whats in it until after the's said "oh this is great". Works like a charm.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:11 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grilled peaches or pinapple dropped over a scoop of ice cream is pretty much my staple of grilled desserts. We are not big dessert people.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We grilled pineapple, oranges, tangerines, pears and apples last evening along with jerk pork shoulder and it was one of the most enjoyable meals. Our guests were very pleased! I cautioned them when they walked through the door that we had never tried any of this before, but after dinner he exclaimed that he was going to use the gift certificate that he received for Christmas to buy 'How to Grill'! :D Steven can add another notch in his BBQ holster.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:55 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Bob I'm happy to hear that it worked well for you. What did you put in the jerk seasoning for the pork shoulder?

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:08 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey stripegrill,

I used the recipe from How to Grill on pages 111-116 with a few minor changes. We are unable to get allspice wood that Jamaicans use to smoke with. So I used hickory along with allspice berries in foil pouches as Steven suggests. Also I was unable to locate Scotch Bonnet peppers so I substituted Habenero peppers instead. It called for 6 to 12 peppers and Habenero peppers are among the hottest in the world. I was concerned about getting the pork too hot so I conservatively used only six peppers. Instead of rum, I used a rum extract flavoring. And I let the meat marinade for a day and a half prior to cooking it.

I must admit, I can’t ever recall an aroma so heavenly as when this meat was grilling. It was the longest hour of my life and worth every minute.

Return to General Discussion