Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beef in the Northeast

Beef in the Northeast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:36 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

No, this isn't a question on Mad Cow.

I've lived in Texas for most of my life and have gotton accustomed to GREAT steak meets that I bought in regular grocery stores. While living there I thought they were normal steaks.

Last year I moved up to New England and can't stand the steaks. I'm preparing the meats exactly the same way. What's different? Is there some aging or curing process that is different and can I can simulate what the difference is?

Chicken is good, but enough is enough. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas, by the way.

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Reidmid,

My beef experiences have been confined to the southern mid-west region of the U.S. and haven’t experienced consistent poor meat quality anywhere. RI is seafood country and I understand they do that exceptionally well. Other than that I have two suggestions, try asking around to see who is the best beef supplier in the state, or it’s time to visit home! :)

Bob.

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:15 pm
chagan well done
well done

I agree with Bob; when in Rome-try the chowder. I understand the dilemma that you must be going through- I don't know what I would do without a quality steak. Maybe up there, the breed is different to handle the cold weather? I can only guess that it may just be that the steak you were used to was fresher. Up north we have plenty on cattle, but they are mostly of the dairy variety. I am not in the cattle business, so I am taking a shot in the dark on this one. Look for products labeled "certified Angus", this may help. I would look around, as already metioned, and as a last resort- look into getting some Texas steaks mail ordered. Or, you can always make friends with Grand Scale- I hear he has a surplus on hand. :wink:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:11 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In light of the current market, all I can say with regards to my recent beef boon is...MINE MINE MINE MINE!! Ha ha. :wink:
Seriously though I find the longhorn to be of lesser quality than what I like but still mighty tasty. I've yet to meet a steak I didn't like. But yes, some are better than others.My advise to you Reidmid is stop buying at the local grocery store find a local butcher instead. Tell him what you're looking for. It's possible that it may not be the grade that he usually carries (the whole supply demand thing you know) but any good butcher will get what the customer desires. If you have trouble finding a good butcher, ask around someone will point you in the right direction (ask restaurants where they get their cuts).
Good luck, don't give up on the north just yet. Hey the seafoods better!!

Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:24 am
dkirn well done
well done

My thoughts would be the same as posted above - I think it might be a freshness thing. You were accustomed to fresh local meat and now you are not as lucky. And everyone knows my opinion on fresh meat.....

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:41 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

Okay, I've been asking around. My local butcher, not the grocery store, told me that the difference is in the cattle feed. He thinks that grass / hay isn't as plentiful in the north and that's the difference.

Plausable?

What ever it is, I'm telling you there IS a difference. Years ago I really didn't understand the hoopla over Omah Seaks, now I think there awsome!

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That makes sense to me.
Would never have thought of it.
If you stick with Omaha it may get a bit pricey, I'd do a combination with a mixture of both, like a A team and a B Team.

Good luck

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:29 pm
dkirn well done
well done

It can also come from cheap feed.... cheap meat comes from cheap farmers who feed their cows cheap feed.

Return to General Discussion