Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Substitute for Beer in recipes

Substitute for Beer in recipes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:32 am
APhillips raw
raw

I was looking at using your recipe from How to Grill for Beer-Simmered Grilled Sausages, using Italian sausage. But I would rather not use beer is there something I can substitute it with for this recipe and others? Thanks.

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:40 am
Airfoils well done
well done

If it's alcohol you're worried about, it all boils off.

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:38 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've had good success substituting a good quality non-alcoholic beer such as Kaliber (made by Heiney I think) or something similar.

Did an Octoberfest for a local Baptist church last year and used the near beer and was quite pleased with results.

Build a 3" layer of sliced red or yellow onions in the bottom of a large stock pot . Toss in 10 or 12 slightly bruised juniper berries, a tablespoon or less of whole black peppercons and pour in enough beer (near beer) to cover .

Bring this to a boil, reduce heat and add Bratwurst, applewurst or other bold flavored tube steaks. Cook gently till cooked through.

Remove meat and grill over low heat just to get some color and crispness to the skin.

Stick 'em on a potato roll (yeah!) Smear with some good German Mustard.

Reach down into the pot w/your tongs grab some of the onion mixture (Ididn't say this was healthy) and top this gem and enjoy.

Happy New Year! :o

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:40 am
chagan well done
well done

Did someone say...... :wink: That does sound tasty YB, I'll have to give it a go sometime.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion