Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Banana Cream Pie

Banana Cream Pie

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:19 pm
Brody rare
rare

I tried the BBQ USA recipe for Banana Cream Pie with poor results. The bananas did not taste good at all. They seemed to almost have a shell of crust on them from the grilling (yes, I did peel them before cooking).

Any ideas as to what went wrong? Has anyone else tried this and had better success? What sort of consistency did the bananas have when properly prepared? It was a family disappointment...

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:15 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Brody

Sorry about the disappointment. But thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us. The only thing I can gather from reading the recipe, as I haven’t attempted this one, is that the bananas need to be ripe and still firm (bright yellow skin with very few brown spots) and the fire needs to be hot in order to caramelize the sugar without over cooking the banana.

The pie does sound good. If the bananas were your only let down, you might try grilling just the bananas a couple of times to experiment with times and temps to get the texture and flavor that suits your family’s taste.

Hope this helps!
Bob.

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:24 pm
Brody rare
rare

Thanks, Bob

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:16 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Your welcome!

BTW I must compliment you on giving that a try. I haven’t plunged into the dessert arena yet. I am tempted to try grilling some pineapple and smoking a few pears for starters.

I do hope you can work the kink or of the pie. Let us know if you succeed!

Bob.

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:29 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Bob,
You must absolutely grill some fresh pineapple. I did this over the summer and it was a great hit! You can either dip it in the coconut milk like in the book or just throw it on the grill. I coat it with cinnamon sugar and then grill it. Serve on top of vanilla ice cream and this is a winner!

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:25 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks stripegrill we're definitely going to try that soon.

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:59 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Gotta try the peaches too.
Baste them with a mixture of brown sugar butter cinnamon and grand marnier.
Serve with Vanilla Icecream.
Oh Baby!

Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:09 am
dkirn well done
well done

I was amazed when I started making deserts on the grill that they were soooo easy and tasted fantastic! Best of all if you have people around, anyone (and I mean anyone) will be overly impressed when they see you cooking desert on the grill.

THen grilled pineapple is my favorite.

Return to General Discussion