Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smoking a ribeye

smoking a ribeye

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:51 pm
missing link well done
well done

i find this web site and i like to be able to see if some one could help copy the way this guy cook his steak

this the web site http://www.gardnersbarbecue.com/smoked_ribeye.html

Gardner's
Hickory Smoked Ribeye Beefsteaks
A PRODUCT OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, VIRGINIA

Forget everything that you know about fine beef. Then let your imagination go wild. Pick your wine and get ready for the best steak you've ever tasted. I offer only Ribeyes because I believe them to be without question the best cut of beef for open fire cooking and these ribeyes are especially well suited for smoking because I cut them 1.5 to 2 inches thick depending on the marbling. Most aficionados of fine beef prefer to enjoy their favorite cut rare. Hickory smoking however, adds a new dimension to beef and for that reason I offer my smoked ribeyes only in thick cuts and only medium rare. Any less and the beauty of fine smoking is lost. Perfect smoking of Ribeyes of this quality require extremely close attention and care. They must be handled gently and allowed to cook over low, even heat and heavy smoke. As with every selection, I spice these ribeyes and roll them in my unique blend of pepper. These ribeyes are also rubbed lightly with garlic. Then they are placed over the glowing hickory coals, slow smoked, and flipped as often as necessary to insure the perfectly even golden red hickory finish.
When medium rare has been achieved the steaks are removed from the smoker and allowed to cool before wrapping so as not to move beyond medium-rare. Then, they are double wrapped individually in heavy foil and quick-frozen.

I'll put it to you this way; these ribeye steaks will be the best tasting piece of beef that you will taste in your lifetime. One try, and nothing else will ever compare.

as you can see i could use a little help
thanks,
missing link
Have Fun and keep it Low and Slow.

Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:00 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Hmm...that's interesting. The first thing that comes to mind is that the signature of a good steak is the crust that is formed when the meat is put over a fire hot enough to sear it. The second is what is the need of smoking such a fine cut of steak. Smoking to my knowledge was for large cuts of meat and also for things that need slower cooking to tenderize. Since this is prime beef it is already tenderized.

That being said, if you wanted to replicate this, I would recommend starting with a thick ribeye that you know is extremely well marbled, season it to your liking and then covering the thing in bacon so it won't dry out in the smoking process. Smoke it to just below your desired doneness and then take it off and sear it over an open fire.

Not really sure what the advantage of this would be though. Some of the other guys might be able to tell you.

Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:17 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I've always viewed smoke as an ingredient, which is really all it is. To impart that ingredient, you have to subject the meat to a low temp while the smoke is being added. That said, you might want to try smoking them for a little while at a very low temp just to add the smoke flavor. Once you've done that, crank up the heat and sear and cook them like you would a normal steak. They might be very good.

I once posted a recipe (not on this board) for Bock beer marinated rib eyes (Cooking Fearlessly) and was torn apart for marinading such a fine steak. I don't care what anyone says, it was one of the best ribeyes I've ever had.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:27 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Scott,
Don’t worry about being criticized for marinating Ribeye steaks, I do it all the time and as you mentioned, the results are always incredible. Marinates are sometimes used for adding flavor and not necessary for juiciness and tenderness. Yes this cut is plenty juicy and tender on its own, but adding a unique flavor to it is never wrong. Some of us like to think out of the box and some like to stick with the norm. Neither groups are wrong; it’s just a matter of preference.

Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:57 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dudes! (and dudettes).

Bacon is cold smoked for flavor and then further cooked to finish.
Why not steak or other ingredients? Try it! What's it gonna cost you to
add a small strip steak to the smoker next time. Smoke it for an hour or so
oil it up season it and toss it on the grill. Might be an epiphany! Might
just become your signature dish!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:24 pm
missing link well done
well done

will i see where everyone is coming from but what i was reading on this guy web site is that he cook this steak over an open fire and some how he is getting what he said to a perfect smoke steak , konw with that be said what i like know is would a 3 zone fire use all hickory coals do the same thing as what he is sell for $125.00 are is there a better way of smoking ribeye steak.

ps i would like to tray some marinade for any steaks.

thanks,
Missing link

Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:36 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Anything over wood is good. :D Try it different ways until you figure out what you like best.

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:05 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Dude on another site takes big fat rib\eyes, sears 'em (like over a charcoal chimney), and then smokes them for a bit with big frozen slabs of butter on top of them.

Here's one of his threads on it with pics

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc ... 4080017462

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:11 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I always have felt that once seared, meat doesn't absorb smoke as well
as when raw. Smoke first and then grill to finish for color and texture.

Am I wrong?

I feel an experiment coming on!

Even using a Cameron stovetop smoker I should be able to see a difference.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:07 pm
crazyhorse medium-well
medium-well

did yall see that big ol slab of butter!!!!!

gotta try this one

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:22 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Where do you get butter like that?

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:40 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I did see your Parrothead Pasta post and it looked fabulous. I haven't had a chance to make that one yet. Their chili recipe is pretty fantastic too. It's about the only one I make any more.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:52 pm
missing link well done
well done

hey airfoils will you are could you repost the recipe are were to find it for the bock beer marinsted ribeye?

spfranz wrote:
I once posted a recipe (not on this board) for Bock beer marinated rib eyes (Cooking
Fearlessly) and was torn apart for marinading such a fine steak. I don't care what anyone says, it was one of the best ribeyes I've ever had.

Scott

thanks,
missing link

Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:55 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Mcockrell wrote:
did yall see that big ol slab of butter!!!!!

Matbe it's just a real small steak. :shock:

Next

Return to General Discussion