Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Christmas Eve Feast

Christmas Eve Feast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:06 am
dkirn well done
well done

Alright I know we got into this topic before Thanksgiving, but I am planning the meal for my immediate family for Christmas Eve Dinner and I am looking for some unique and different suggestions as to what others cook for a Christmas Dinner or just something unique.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:36 am
hickory pete well done
well done

We're still not fully organized on this one yet. However, it will be prepared indoors by my wife and I, if she doesn't throw me out of the kitchen. We're kind of tired of the traditional meals, such as Ham and Turkey. So far, it will be a pork crown roast, mandarin salad with chicken, escargot stuffed in mushroom caps in a garlic butter sauce, Oreo cookie pie with layers of pudding, coolwhip, and who know what else she puts in it (really good). We haven't figured out what to have for side dishes to the roast. Snack tray will have shrimp, olives, pickles, crackers, and green onions covered with cream cheese and wrapped in thinly sliced chipped beef. One of my Son's always asks for egg plant parmesan. Of course, the usual chips dips, christmas cookies, etc.

Look forward to reading responses for ideas also.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You can't go wrong (or maybe you can) with a flaming prime rib! It really was quite an impressive sight. :oops:

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:35 am
chagan well done
well done

I like pie

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:23 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Christmas Eve dinner for my family is homemade pizza, homemade italian beef sandwiches with homemade giardinera, sweet peppers and a tossed green salad with a homemade balsamic vinagrette.
The first year we were married I did the traditional honey baked ham, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, and salad.
It seems that with the amount of nice (formal) food we eat Christmas day the pizzas are a nice relaxing way to spend the evening.
Appetizers this year are cheese and crackers, veggies with spinach dip and some shrimp cocktail. What the wife doesn't know is that I am making stuffed mushrooms for her with roasted garlic, brie, and touch of cilantro. Also, if I have time I will make a salmon coulis to put on toasted rounds.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:25 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Oh yeah, forgot about dessert. I am making 2 cheescakes, one plain with a chocolate-raspberry sauce I make, and one is turtle cheesecake with oreo crust.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:37 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Oops!! I just noticed that the post is for Christmas Eve dinner, and my response is our CHRISTMAS dinner.

Wife just informed me to scratch the pork crown roast idea, and substitue it with standing rib roast. We're also adding cheese tortellini (sp?) with italian sausage in homemade sauce.

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:37 am
hickory pete well done
well done

dkirn,

There is a website at: www.txbeef.org/ that is pretty good. Click on the "recipe book" link. There are a lot of good ideas there.

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:48 am
dkirn well done
well done

Hickory Pete - Thanks for the link, I have not come across that site before and it seems to have alot of great info.

As far as everyone else - I think I am going to skitp preparting Christmas Eve dinner and just make a quick stop by all of your houses and just sample what you are making!!!

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:56 am
hickory pete well done
well done

There's always plenty of food here....

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Unfortunately around my family Christamas eve is done at one of my aunts and uncles homes. And the menus is the same every year as prepared by the Aunts. Fortunately the uncles make sure that theres plenty of booze. There is no messing with the formula. PERIOD! Christmas day and New Years day are the same story. Fixed menus where a change is punnishable by death. So I'm looking forward to New Years eve to truely shine!

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:14 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are pretty much locked in as well. You know what someone is bringing without even having to ask, mostly sweets & finger foods to munch on all day and the traditional ham, turkey & fixin’s. I rocked the boat a little this Thanksgiving and brought a smoked brisket (and lived to tell). Maybe I’ll try something again for Christmas.

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:10 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Well, Christmas day is our celebration and I am informed to plan for 28 people. Heck anyone else want to show up? With the admonition from Grand Scale, I have pretty well decided to throw caution the wind and do a couple of tenderloin roasts in the smoker at a high temperature. Sear them and give them a little smokey taste is my plan. So I ruin a hundred bucks of meat. I will also do a poached salmon, and some sort of chicken dish for the wimps. My wife will likely cook up something with red sauce and pasta involved befitting her Italian heritage. We are looking forward to it.

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:23 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Roff..Nice dinner planned. As far as throwing caution to the wind, why not? If all the great inventors were cautious, where would we be? You certainly have the facilities to throw quite a dinner..Good Luck. As far as the Italian heritage thing goes...That's our heritage over here also. We sure do believe in Family get togethers and FOOD!!

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:28 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Pete, I am definitely going to try. Make it a hot smokey oven. I will certainly post the results.

Next

Return to General Discussion