Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Which Book To Buy Next?

Which Book To Buy Next?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:41 am
MaxDog rare
rare

I found religion with How to Grill (I now shoulda been the BBQ Bible) and I've been spreading the religion ever since. I've given several copies of HtG as presents and all of them have been very well recieved. Best of all, now I don't suffer through Char-raw chicken at friends' cook-outs. Instead I get Mustard Dill glazed salmon or Pesto Grilled chicken. Believe me; spread the Word and your friends (and taste buds) will thank you.

After learning some basic techniques form HtG, I'v since picked up Sauces, Rubs and Marinades (or SR&M). Try a new recipe near every week-end. Near, because the missus wants "chicken exactly the way you made it last time". Its gonna be some time before I exhaust all the permutations and inspirations from SR&M.

I've look at BBQ Bible and BBQ USA, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the deeper mysteries. I agree with Grand Scale, they look like coffe table books. I love that -- Food Anthropology as Alton Brown would say -- an important part of understanding food, but for sheer inspiration per dollar you can't beat How to Grill and Sauces Rubs & Marinades.
How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards

Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:42 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I hope that Steven reads some of these posts. Perhaps we are a small sample of what the general grilling population likes to read in his type of books. I'd sure like to see him follow-up with another book titled, "How To Grill, Vol. II" type of book.

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Amen to that...How to Grill 2 would be great, the pictures and the easy directions are the key!

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'd definitely purchase How to Grill II, How to Grill III, and How to Grill IV if they were done as well as the original. Lots of step-by-step photos, detailed directions and great presentation photos! With Steven’s books there are no amateurs.

Maybe the folks from Workman will read this thread and be inspired as well...

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:58 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I agree with you guys...I would buy all the books anyway, but especially if they were in the "How To Grill" format.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:44 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I agree with everyone - How To Grill was by far the best book available to date. With all of the pictures and step by step instructions it makes you feel more confident when you are trying something new.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:26 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I just bought a stack of "How to..." for gifts at Christmas. What a better way to spread the insanity...er...I mean joy....

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:17 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hopefully your "How to..." recipients will join in the insanity ... oops ... I mean joy of posting on the BBQ board!

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:32 am
chagan well done
well done

I think that the new book should be entitled- How to Grill Again, don't you agree. I think HTG is a great resource that merrits more than one quick run through. I often go back again and again to try new recipies or verify the one that I am about to tackle. Once it is completely memorized and I test out, I probably won't need to do that any longer- but I may, just to look at the pretty pictures. After all that is what I normally look for in my fine literature- the pretty pictures.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:39 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I purchased 'How to Grill' for the articles. You know...it has great ARTICLES.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:59 am
hickory pete well done
well done

HTG again would work. It's amazing the things that are missed the 1st time around. Yeh, I read for the articles too!! :lol:

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Dave's rig would make a nice centerfold for Steven's next issue....I mean book!

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:41 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Now that would be something. I can't even imagine what the Christmas issue, er..book, would be like.

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:14 am
MaxDog rare
rare

Oh Lord -- all this magazine talk -- I just had a vision: A Swim Suit Issue. If you guys look anything like me and my gang, they'd need the wide angle lens.
How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:45 am
dkirn well done
well done

All I can say is

:shock:

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion