Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question about wood chips

Question about wood chips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:49 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm not allowed to play with sharp objects either...I'm very lucky my wife still lets me play with fire!

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:47 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I think that we can all relate to that - I sliced my hand open last week with a bread knife while cutting a bagel - not bad, only required 17 stiches!

Kind of hard to type though!!

Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:58 pm
chagan well done
well done

I hope that it was the best bagel ever, hate to lose blood on something that is not fighting back. In all seriousness, hope you have a speedy recovery dkirn.
Last edited by chagan on Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:15 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Dkirn

Sorry to hear about the accident cutting a bagel. From what I saw on a newscast, injuries like that are pretty frequent. We have a bagel cutter here, and have never used it. It's with other gadgets that are collecting dust. After reading your post, maybe I'll be taking it out of the box. Hope the hand heals quickly.

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:00 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Watch out for those V slicers or Mandolins (the cutting tool not the musical instrument...although I hear they're pretty shifty too) I almost lost a finger to one. Cut right to the tendon. That wonderful $200+ tool now sits in a box...

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:10 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Dave,

Man am I sorry to hear about the hand. I hope you heal fast. Take care.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:31 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I'm surprised that some of these gadgets are allowed to be marketed. The slicers look the most dangerous. When I watch those info commercials I just can imagine all the people who skin their knuckles off using them. I'll peel and slice the old fashioned way.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:05 am
Airfoils well done
well done

About bark: I know I said no bark but as everyone knows it's nigh impossible to get chunks without it and chips have some mixed in too. The important thing I think is to just keep it to a minimum. I tried using more bark on purpose once and wasn't pleased with the outcome. Anyway, sorry if I got you guys up in arms about bark :lol:

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:43 am
chagan well done
well done

News flash, I just used my first couple of chunks last night, and upon inspection I was able to peel the bark off like the outside ring of an onion- fairly effortless process. Very glad too, I was thinking about taking the Dremel to it, glad that won't be necessary.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:55 am
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
News flash, I just used my first couple of chunks last night, and upon inspection I was able to peel the bark off like the outside ring of an onion- fairly effortless process. Very glad too.

Yes I agree chunks are easier to keep the bark content down especially in the manner you described. Another advantage is you don't 'have to soak them. I just lift the hinged grate, toss a chunk or 2 on and I'm done whereas with chips you have to go through the trouble of soaking them and it's hard to tell bark from wood sometimes. The downside with chunks is, I go through chunks faster than I would chips so it's more expensive but then sometimes I'll just load the chimney with nothing but wood chunk and man... :D I'm not worrying about what the fuel cost when I'm eating the final product I promise you that 8)

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:33 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I can just see chagan sitting there with his dremel carving the bark of his hickory! :lol: I've heard of ice sculptures, now we'll have smoking sculptures! :lol:

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:47 pm
chagan well done
well done

Airfoils wrote:
[...it's hard to tell bark from wood sometimes. .]

I find that if you lick it and it tastes like dirt, it is usually bark.

GS- Please follow the bouncing ball- I bought APPLE chunks not hickory. :) Anyway I am rather good at sculpting using the Dremel- I have been able to turn large wood chunks into not so large wood chunks. Cheers.
Last edited by chagan on Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:16 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

See I have a great memory, the only problem is that its short...

Who is this Steve guy anyway? :wink:

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I, on the other hand, have a perfect memory and never forget anything. I have a terrible problem with recall however... :?

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:03 pm
dkirn well done
well done

It is always great to come home after a long bad day and be cheered up with some of the things you guys type - thanks for the concerns of the hand, it is healing quick - just think twice when slicing a bagel in your hand!

Previous

Return to General Discussion