Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Why Is The Price Of Beef So High??

Why Is The Price Of Beef So High??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:27 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Has anyone noticed the major hike in the price of beef lately? What is the reason? I was told that the demand was high due to popular protein diets. If so, it's just economics at work. Demand goes up...so does the price. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:49 am
chagan well done
well done

I agree Pete, several years ago, beef was given a bad rap. People starting to shy away from beef in favor of other forms of protein like fish and chicken. Today, people realize just how much they were missing out on in my opinion, and beef has surged back with a vengence. I might also suggest that the added inspections of beef to ensure that they are mad cow disease free must also be passed on to the consumer in order to maintain the profit margin.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:23 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Pete,
You are correct. One of the main reasons that the price is so high is simple economics and supply and demand. One of the local news programs here in Chicago did a report on this and how a big reason is that everyone has gone crazy on the Atkins Diet or something similar. I have found that my local Sam's club is still relatively inexpensive for good selection. And, after grilling like a fiend this summer and fall, my butcher now recognizes me and will let me have something at a discount.

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:02 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Stripegrill has hit on something here that is beneficial in various ways...the local butcher. I've been going to the same guy, and now his son, for my entire life, as has my father and even his father. There are many thing to be gained from such a relationship like that, too many to even go into. Bu the bottom line is that I support him and he supports me. Plus even if he had to charge a few cents more I'd still pay. I mean whats life without steak???

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:38 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Please, please let that be a rhetorical question! :D

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:40 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Since we moved to this area not too long ago, we are still searching for a local butcher that we like. Of course there are many places, but haven't found that special one yet. As far as the prices go...many will switch to less expensive cuts, the demand goes down, prices drop, and the cycle starts over again. The bargains are still there, just have to look a little more, I guess.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:50 am
chagan well done
well done

I agree about the less costly cuts Pete. You can see the method at work if you look at the history of Skirt and Flank steak. These cuts have become very popular of late and you guessed it- up is going the price I'm telling you.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:06 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
I agree about the less costly cuts Pete. You can see the method at work if you look at the history of Skirt and Flank steak. These cuts have become very popular of late and you guessed it- up is going the price I'm telling you.

OMG isn't that the truth. My wife is a nut case for fajitas on the grill and my skirt steak bill went through the roof in the last 2 years. I used to always feel like I was getting away with something before because it's such a tasty cut of meat and tender too. I wonder what reason can be attributed to it's increase in popularity?

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:04 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Don't forget that Canada had an episode of Mad Cow disease, and I believe that imports into the U.S. are still banned. We used to get a lot o0f our beef from Canada

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We had a guy from Canada that worked in our company for a while that bragged about Canada having a secret army that no one knew about that was even bigger and better that the U.S.A.'s forces...Which I guess goes to prove the mad cow issue! :)

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:04 pm
chagan well done
well done

He was probably right Bob, being as though the US doesn't claim to have a secret army of any kind, Canada's IS probably bigger. We like to spend our tax dollars on ACTUAL armies.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:39 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I must say that i have not noticed an increase in price since I do not pay attention to the price that I pay. As everyone knows I am sure that I make a few stops a week to my local butcher - he not only gives me great meat but also will "keep the good cuts" for me or order something that he thinks I will like. Since he charges me something diffent than the marked price I do not notice a difference, I do know if I am still getting a good price or that I am just not that observant.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:00 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I guess I should add my two...three..Ah, dollars worth. Yep meat is expensive, but try fish instead....Whew! I agree with some others. Make good friends with a local butcher. You may pay a bit more, but the quality is worth it. You can also get cuts of good, and cheap smoking meats that are not available to everyone.

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:05 pm
Mike

While the is a bit of truth about the high protein diet popularity causing the current beef shortage, the larger factor is the fact that Canadian beef cannot be brought into the U.S. at the present time. This is due to one incidence of "Mad Cow Disease" being found in Canada.

The numbers vary, but some say that before the embargo about 20% of the beef consumed in the USA was imported from Canada. Not having that 20% is the larger contributing factor to the shortages of the past 3 or so months. Beef is a commodity and is subject to the "supply and demand" factors for pricing. Because of the shortage live cattle prices were at an all time high recently, and by quite a hefty margin.

Some wholesale prices went up by close to $1.00 a pound. Prices are down from the highs at this point, but are still higher than early this year.

Hope this helps.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!

Mike

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:50 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

It was announced on tonight's news that a farm in the U.S. is quarantined for suspected Mad Cow Disease. If this is true, it will be the first case found in the U.S. I believe the suspected problem was found in the state of Washington. They indicated that they have sent samples to England for testing. They also announced that there is no reason to change any plans and to go ahead and enjoy beef. There is more information at www.cnn.com/

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not worried, and will continue to enjoy beef anyway!!

Next

Return to General Discussion