Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled ribs & Apple Cider

Grilled ribs & Apple Cider

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:04 am
Yam660R

Hello, and Help...

I was at a cook out and had the best ribs ever. They had boiled them in Apple cider, then grilled them, or vice versa. I have never done this, and don't want to experament with the family comming over. Has anyone done this that can elaborate? I would greatly appreciate the info!!!

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:39 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I only have one comment...Never, ever boil ribs! People do it all the time as a shortcut, and what you end up with is boiled ribs. It doesan't matter what you do to them after, boiling them leaves the flavor in the water.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:47 am
Bologins raw
raw

No disrespect to Paul P but why not boil ribs. That is like saying don't make beer can chicken. I have a great recipe for Ribs. Coca-Cola ribs. here it goes.

I live in Canada so we use 2 litres of Coke. In the states I think that would be about 3 or 4 quarts. Take your ribs and boil them in the coke until the ribs are tender and almost falling off the bones. Also. you are going to make a teriyaki sauce. This is 2 cups of Soya sauce, as much garlic as you need, Brown sugar to taste (This could be 6 to 8 heaping table spoons full) and add Ginger. Make the teriyaki sauce first by combing the ingredients and then dump into Coke. Boil your ribs. Could take almost an hour depending on the amout of ribs.

You will love these ribs. They are now a family favorite. 8)

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:50 am
Bologins raw
raw

Sorry about that. Once the ribs are done boiling in your coca-cola mixture. Bbq them for about 2 to 3 minutes each side. Thx. :?

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:58 pm
Shaft28

Hey Yam660R,
A lot of people are torn on boiling rib issue. Long story short - boiling ribs takes the fat out of the meat and can make them harder to cook - ie. dry out quicker. Some swear they are a lot moister when you boil, but of the 6-7 times I had them boiled, I don't find it add much value; usually subtracts.
I think boiling in soda will add flavor (sugar) and if cooked right will taste fine. But if you go to a BBQ contest or talk to a pro - they will chastise you and toss you in the pit if you even mention boiling.
For each their own.
M

Return to General Discussion