Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Boston Question

Boston Question

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:29 am
BchrisL User avatar
rare
rare

Hello Steve,

First let me get this out of the way....I've got a 1998 first printing of The Barbecue Bible. It is dog eared and one place, page 154 will open all by itself. Elizabeth Karmel's North Carolina-Style Pulled Pork is the project on that page. My copy has pencil marks all over the rub section where I have converted the ingredients to mass in SI units. The rub is basic as it was when you wrote it, but on the next page, Vinegar Sauce has been the basis for my sauce. I have been tweeking and refining it for years and have finally settled down to what I call my sauce. I can make it in minutes and folks all over cannot get enough. The key bit of insight you conveyed was the concept of piquant. It was the taste that was key to the success of this sauce.

But I digress,
I was in Boston last year and I happened upon this restaurant by chance. The name stuck out for me as a native Virginian as we have Humgry Mother State Park here in Virginia. I have camped there many times. I did not have a reservation and found out the usually book a month in advance, but I conned my in when I shared a lot of information about the county there the chef grew up.

I ordered the chicken breast that was coated with a bonded breading with fresh herbs and greens. He had made a sauce to cover the chicken out of Red Eye Gravy made with Virginia country cured ham mixed with mashed potatoes. It was a taste I knew quite well from my childhood., but I had never had it over fried chicken. Pure genius.

Finally the question: Was this place there when you were reviewing restaurants in Boston? If so do you remember you're review, and could you share it with us.

Thanks,
Chris
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:17 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Chris,

First, thanks for your kind words about The Barbecue Bible. The book changed my life, too, in ways too numerous to tally.

I haven't been to Hungry Mother's. It wasn't open back in the dark ages when I reviewed restaurants for Boston Magazine. I've certainly added it to my hit list.

Thanks for writing. Rock the grill!

SR

Return to Ask Steven