Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Seafood!

June's Online Block Party - Seafood!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
Ok my first June Block Party post. Grilled Grouper filets with Creole Mustard/caper buerre blanc, Chipotle/Honey sweet potatoes, and grilled asparagus.

BubbaQue - you said your "first" June Block Party post. Does that mean we can look forward to more excellent posts like this?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:00 pm
LGHail rare
rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Neat idea, Daniel! What inspired you to come up with it? Do the husks add any flavor?

I think it was an episode of Primal Grill where Steve had some fish warped in Banana leafs (may have been a different show). I didn't have any banana leafs but I had plenty of corn husks. If they do add a flavor, it is very mild.

scorched_porch wrote:
I second that neat idea. Did you soak the husks? Do tell. Inquiring minds and all...

I didn't soak the husks the husks this time since there were enough juices from the marinaded fish. You may want to soak them otherwise.
Daniel

Grilling is great, it gives me an excuse to play with fire.

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:42 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Yes CharredGriller. Steve has me thinking quesadilla this weekend. Im going to do a grilled shrimp, caramalized onion, queso fresco, quesadilla with homemade pico de gallo. Fresh tomatoes are hitting the farmers markets here and we always have fresh seafood.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:52 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dang, that sounds good!

However, by the time the cheese gets melted is there a chance the shrimp could be overcooked? Or are you going to use big ones to lessen that risk?

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:56 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

I normally split them in half so the large shrimp don't make the quesadillas too thick. I cook them quickly so they don't get over cooked. It doesn't take long to melt the cheese.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:24 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
I normally split them in half so the large shrimp don't make the quesadillas too thick. I cook them quickly so they don't get over cooked. It doesn't take long to melt the cheese.

Looking forward to those pics too, BubbaQue! :bbq:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:11 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

I bought some 10/15 count shrimp to make some shrimp quesadillas with queso frersco and carmalized onions.

Vidallia Onions sliced thin sauteed with a little salt and brown sugar.
Sweet onion jam.
Shrimp skewered and seasoned
Sreaming hot Weber
Plated with mango slaw and homemade pico de gallo.

The shrimp were seasoned with my Bubbaque seafood seasoning a take off of a blackened seasoning. The sweet onion jam played foil to the spicy grilled shrimp. I split the shrimp so the quesadillas would'nt be too think. The slaw replaces the typical pickle relish with mango and the dressing is mayo thinned with apple cider vinegar. The pico is fresh tomatoes, cilantro, red onions, jalapeno, with lime zest and lime juice.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 am
BBQ Deputy

Those are some creative recipes, Bubba; everything looks great!

Shrimp quesadillas sound really good but I think mine would be pretty boring by comparison.

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:26 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Okay - so my wife calls me from Costco, saying "Hey - you know those rock lobsters you like to grill? They have them in 6 packs. Want me to pick up a package?". Needless to say the answer was something like "Hell Yes!". This evening I butterflied them, hit them with garlic, lime juice and basil for about 30 minutes and got ready to grill them

On the grill, flesh side down first for about 5 minutes, then I flipped them for another 5 or so. Love those CrayCort CI grates.

Finally on the plate

Can't say that I remember having better. They pick up the flavor of the grill like nothing else. What a fantastic meal.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:56 pm
BBQ Deputy

Scorch, I hate you.

But in a good way. :wink:

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Well, you know what they say... It's better to be hated than ignored :) . BTW The meat pulls right out of these tails when they are cold (I had a couple left over). I chopped up the meat and made lobster rolls for lunch today. Holy Smokes. Heaven in a bun.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:11 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I can taste the lemon butter dripping through my breard.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:51 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
I can taste the lemon butter dripping through my breard.

And I just trimmed mine, too. Oh well.

Scorch - that's a heck of a way to wrap up the party. Thanks! :cheers:

(Now everyone go vote for the July party too!) :D

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:47 am
BBQ Deputy

Hey, the party's not quite over yet! I do have one final submission to make before the end of the weekend...stay tuned!

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:43 pm
BBQ Deputy

After the shrimp disaster early in the month I didn't have a good opportunity to try seafood again until last week. Mrs. Chicken brought home some frozen haddock and tilapia filets so I figured they were worth a shot. The 2 tilapia filets have the red line.

Once again I reached for the Zatarain's Creole seasoning but had a far lighter hand than I had with the shrimp. I also used (for the first time) the big Bobby Flay grill basket I was given a couple of years ago.

Here are the filets after being flipped for the first time. I used a 22" grate on an 18" kettle so that the basket would lay flat and it worked well; the fish cooked for about 7 minutes on each side.

Based on the flake test they were done and actually tasted pretty good, although to be perfectly honest I think the Zatarain's people should look into reformulating the Creole dust with less salt and more flavors.

If I have room in the car I'll take the basket on vacation next month and try grilling something out of Lake Superior!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion