Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Seafood!

June's Online Block Party - Seafood!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:14 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

May`s vote was pretty clear on this one. It`s seafood the members want, so seafood it is! (And I`m going to go shopping for some this week for certain.)

Let the Block Party begin! :bbq:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:50 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent! Time to start watching the grocery flyers...

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:00 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Seafood for thought ... As much as I love swordfish, I will be looking for more sustainable sea critters. Lobsters seem to be in abundance the past couple of years (and priced accordingly) http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... d-of-fish/
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Perfect for me in Northwest Florida on the gulf. Snapper season is underway. There is an abundance of Grouper, Amberjack, Shrimp, and Flounder.

:pirate:
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And just in time for this event, Steven just posted a new article too!
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/06/03/buying-shrimp/#.U49l2ernZaQ

I found it very helpful - I hope you will too. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:47 am
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
Perfect for me in Northwest Florida on the gulf. Snapper season is underway. There is an abundance of Grouper, Amberjack, Shrimp, and Flounder.

:pirate:
Good. Now we'll expect an abundance of posts from you! :lol:

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Bought some Cod for Friday dinner.
Shaked a little Fish rub

On the Gasser

Ready to pull

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:22 pm
BBQ Deputy

OK, we've broken the ice! Do you make the fish rub yourself or is it a commercial product?

I'm going to have to give cod a try.

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 am
Trollby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
OK, we've broken the ice! Do you make the fish rub yourself or is it a commercial product?

I'm going to have to give cod a try.

I do both, this time I have some "Emeril Lagasse fish rub", my family really likes the flavor for fish so I buy it since easy otherwise I make my own if I am out and need something.

I made a garlic lemon butter sauce that was for the fish when eating I forgot to show and plate shot

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm
LGHail rare
rare

I made fish tacos with grilled fish tacos.
I use dried corn husks (same type used for tamales) to prevent the fish from sticking, as well as limited protection from flair ups. I suppose this could have been a late entry into the Cinco De Mayo block party.
Daniel

Grilling is great, it gives me an excuse to play with fire.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:38 am
BBQ Deputy

Neat idea, Daniel! What inspired you to come up with it? Do the husks add any flavor?

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:01 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

I second that neat idea. Did you soak the husks? Do tell. Inquiring minds and all...
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:16 pm
BBQ Deputy

Last Sunday I tried to be creative and darn near killed the family.

I started with a pound of 31-40 shrimp that I peeled, cut into small pieces, and mixed with mayo and Zatarain's Creole seasoning.
Image Image

Then I spooned the mixture into some portobello caps, topped them with mozzarella and provolone, and cooked them indirect until they were hot all the way through.

We each took a bite, swallowed, and reached immediately for whatever we were drinking. It turned out that the first ingredient in the seasoning is salt and not only did I not read the label, but I also failed to taste the mixture and went strictly by color so it was way, way saltier than it should've been. :oops: We struggled to eat a few of them but the rest eventually went into the garbage. I don't know why I didn't check the ingredients; I guess I figured that "Creole" meant onion, garlic, and bell pepper and didn't consider that there might be other components as well.

Yep, I got sloppy and it wound up costing me. Fortunately I didn't screw up the brats so we didn't go hungry, and you can bet that next time I'll pay better attention to what I'm doing!

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:01 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

Ok my first June Block Party post. Grilled Grouper filets with Creole Mustard/caper buerre blanc, Chipotle/Honey sweet potatoes, and grilled asparagus.

Gouper filets seasoned with my homemade seafood seasoning.

On the grill with the garlic and olive oil marinated Asparagus

Plated with the Chipotle/Honet sweet potatoes

Dinning al fresco. This was my view with a glass of Chablis.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 am
BBQ Deputy

What a great way to spend the afternoon and evening, BQ! The food and scenery are both outstanding!

Next

Return to General Discussion