Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot dogs coast to coast

Hot dogs coast to coast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:59 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Congratulations and nice prize haul! :thumbup: How's your dog built?

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:46 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

First, Vienna dog on a bun. The bun then has spicy ( but not too spicy) mango mayo spread on it.
Then, place on the dog a slice of apple wood smoked bacon, then avocado slices,
then sliced sweet yellow and red peppers, then some brown mustard, then your done.

The ingredients had to be readily available. In other words, if you chose very exotic
ingredients, you would not make it out of the initial voting ( by the owners and a few other
insiders).

It was fun. The voting went on for about 20 days. I checked the voting half way through, I was losing.
Then I checked again the day before voting ended. I was ahead.

And yes, I did vote for myself, and you can only vote once ( I knew I should't try to vote for myself
twice, but I wanted to see what would happen if I did ( that was my excuse) and it locked me out of voting twice).
The truth will always set you free!

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:49 am
BBQ Deputy

That sounds like a really interesting combination! If you put one together at home please post a photo.

Years ago I never would've though of mango anything as "readily available".

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:24 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I will not be putting it together at home (although not really difficult),
but they will at the restaurant, as it will be a menu item for at least three months.
I can take a picture there, at SlawDogs, but I still haven't figured out how to post.
I know, you have directions. I tried once. I'll try again.

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 pm
BBQ Deputy

With cheap hot dogs it can be easy to get a clunker but last week I bought some house brand buns and dogs at a local convenience store (Kwik Trip/Kwik Star) for an easy weeknight supper.

The natural casing dogs were under $3 and if I'd bought the skinless variety I'd've paid only $1.39 or so. They looked pretty good.

And they grilled up pretty nice over medium heat.

And they were actually pretty decent! I wouldn't substitute them for a great all-beef dog like a Vienna but for the price I'd much rather eat these than comparably-priced name-brand wieners.

Sometimes ya gotta be cheap...I didn't spend much on the beer, either. :wink:

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:31 pm

For the 4th of July weekend we picked up a couple packs of hot dogs at WalMart and were pleasantly surprised to find "Nathan's Famous Jumbo Beef Franks". They were 4 in a pack but were huge! As long as their usual "bun length", which is MUCH longer than the bun! They were about 6" long and easily over 1" in diameter! I had a couple (over a couple days), and while I usually enjoy cheese on my dog, I found that the frank all by itself (grilled) on a bun that I sprayed very lightly with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray and grilled was FANTASTIC!!!
Forget all the toppings! They are delicious all by themselves!
I sure hope they continue to carry these biggies!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 pm
BBQ Deputy

I noticed Nathan's on sale around here, too, but only the regular 8/1 size. Given the popularity of the annual contest it would certainly seem like the right time for a promotional push!

Previous

Return to General Discussion