Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion May's Online Block Party - Cinco De Mayo!

May's Online Block Party - Cinco De Mayo!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Our recent vote was pretty clear on this one - grilling with salsa is a real hit with the members. So in honor of Monday's celebration (and Steven's recent blog post) the theme for this month is Cinco De Mayo.

Salsa is a marvelous way to spice up grilled food, and we look forward to your creations. You can see Steven's original post here:
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/04/22/salsas-mexico/

Let the Block Party begin! :bbq:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Out west, Cinco de Mayo is just the excuse we need to bust out the wood and bring on the cerveza. It isn't Mexican independence like a lot of people think (that's September 16th), but just a commemoration of the victorious battle between French and Mexican forces (I blogged about it last year: http://wp.me/p2n8S6-8W). That battle eventually led to independence. Anyhow, I took full advantage of it last weekend. I had a great fire and did chicken thighs in an Achiote Marinade and Skirt in a Beer Marinade. Sides of rice, beans and a grilled salsa. Everything came out excellent and now the house is only full of memories, a few dirty pots and the smell of oak smoke.

Steak and Chicken on the Parrilla

Skirt Steak, marinated in Beer and some other good stuff - sliced against the grain

Skirt and Chicken off the grill

The works

Last edited by scorched_porch on Sun May 18, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pass me a tortilla and get out of the way! :lol:

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Pass me a tortilla and get out of the way! :lol:

You'll have to wait your turn, because I'm in front of you. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Looking good folks. And thanks for the clarification on the history behind Cinco de Mayo.

BBQ Deputy

I haven't been grilling much this month but I do have one finished CDM cook and another one in the pipeline. A couple of weeks ago I picked up some nice boneless short ribs and used them for quesadillas.

I made a marinade with Mexican beer and ordinary taco seasoning, and let the cut-up ribs sit for about a day.
Image Image

The grill basket made cooking them a snap.

Then we each built our own quesadilla and I took them back to the grill to put some char on the tortillas.

My daughter opened hers up to add some fresh salsa.

They turned out really good and the short ribs were a good choice!

well done
well done

Wow Mr Chicken - I like your choice for queso's - short ribs - whod'a thunk? I mix short ribs with chuck for my ground burger mix so why not? Good flavor and they look fabulous. Nice work.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Trollby well done
well done

Yum-Yum!

Forgot to take pictures on Sunday but I did up 10# chicken thighs marinated in Fajita seasoning over night with Jack Daniels oak barrel wood chips.

Served with warmed tortilla shells and home-made salsa

---Edit---
Added the "S" in Thigh
Last edited by Trollby on Wed May 28, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald1800 rare
rare

With a single chicken thigh weighing 10 lbs., that must have been one h*ll of a monster chicken. Growth hormones? (lol)

BBQ Deputy

Sounds like the chicken that Peter Griffin's always fighting with! :lol:

Last week I used the chipotle rub recipe from Rick Bayless' book Everyday Mexican for some tacos. I thought that finding chipotle powder might be difficult but I didn't have any trouble.

Instead of flank or skirt steak I used sirloin, because it was already in my freezer. :wink:
Image Image

For accompaniments I went with salsa verde and beer from Mexico, not just Mexican-style products made here. The salsa label says "medium" but what's inside is definitely more fiery than what medium usually means!

These were simpler than what I did with the short ribs, mostly because Mrs. Chicken was working and not home for dinner. The chipotle rub has a nice flavor without being too strong or spicy, and I'd use it again.

BaasPro medium
medium

This block party is looking good!
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

well done
well done

Looks awesome Mr Chicken! I particularly like the shot of the sliced sirloin. Cooked to perfection.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
These were simpler than what I did with the short ribs, mostly because Mrs. Chicken was working and not home for dinner. The chipotle rub has a nice flavor without being too strong or spicy, and I'd use it again.[/img]

It would seem that "simpler" is just as good sometimes. I have a flat of sirloins I was planning to cook as soon as the rain lets up here, and I was planning on going with something very similar to what you cooked here. Now I know it's the right choice - nice work! :cheers:

Post Sat May 31, 2014 12:58 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Wow!-Nice work guys! Thought I could bring some Sriracha drums to this party. Just grill 'em and roll 'em in butter and hot sriracha sauce. Lots of strong, interesting flavor here! Served with corn on the cob and cucumbersalad with sour cream dressing. :cheers:

Got beer???

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, everyone, for the great posts! June`s Online Block Party is now live, so get ready to try your hand at seafood!

Next

Return to General Discussion