Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion April's Online Block Party - Pork!

April's Online Block Party - Pork!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:16 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the first Online Block Party of 2014!

The votes are in and the clear winner is one of the most versatile meats in grilling: pork!

Regardless of whether it's pulled pork, whole hog, ribs, chops, tenderloin, pork steaks, trotters, or something else, we'd like to see your best. So fire up the smoker or grill, grab your camera and post as many cooks as you like.

Let the party begin!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have a big shoulder that's been buried in the bottom of the freezer and I think this might be the month to finally cook it, probably as an overnighter.

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Lets get the party started! I made pulled pork on Sunday. Halfway through the cook my wife said she didn't want bbq sandwiches and was in the mood Mexican. When the pork was done and pulled, I threw some in a pan to make it crispy. Sauteed up some peppers and made Smoked Carnitas Fajitas. I didn't get a picture of dinner. These are leftovers from yesterdays lunch.

New chimney was in need

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:00 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Awesome tacos. Your wife is a lucky woman!

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice-looking tacos, Wolfie! :thumbup:

And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who uses a chimney until it's totally worn out. :wink:

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:52 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - those look marvelous, Wolfie! Thanks for the pics! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 am
BaasPro medium
medium

Grilled Memphis-style Baby Backs -- we grill these over a hot hickory fire, flipping and basting every ten minutes and they are done in about an hour, and then they get the rub. They cook fast, so they're chewier than tender smoked ribs, but oh so tasty!

680.JPG
680.JPG (185.42 KiB) Viewed 4945 times

A few years ago I made a time-lapse video of how they cook on a firepit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLBVeSxUipY
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:09 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nicely done, BaasPro! :cheers:

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:34 pm
BBQ Deputy

The beauty of back ribs over spares...the ability to cook them several different ways!

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 pm
BBQ Deputy

Last week I wanted to fix some pork chops for a weeknight meal so I found an online recipe for a wet rub made with dried sage, dried rosemary (although I used fresh), salt, pepper, and oil. I had the URL written down but now I can't find the piece of paper. :oops:

I salted the chops in the morning and made the rub when I got home from work, so the marination time was about an hour or so and they grilled for about 6-7 minutes per side.
Image Image Image

The chops were well-marbled to begin with so they turned out nice and moist, and the herbs added flavor without being overpowering.

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 pm
BBQ Deputy

Last Saturday we were in Milwaukee to see the Brewers play the Pirates, and since kielbasa is popular in Pittsburgh I picked Polish sausage for our tailgate meal. Before every game a tailgate party using Klement's products is selected to receive some prizes, but that's never happened to us.

The Weber Go-Anywhere in action.
Image Image Image

Most other brands of Polish sausage links are the same size as bratwurst and Italian links but Klement's makes theirs longer, so cutting them in half allows them to fit nicely in the buns.

And some random ballpark shots.
Image Image
Image Image

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 am
BBQ Deputy

While wandering through the grocery store I had the idea that it might be fun to marinate some country-style ribs

in soy sauce and sake. I'd never used or even tasted sake before so it seemed like an idea worth trying, although to be perfectly honest the flavor was a little disappointing. Then again, since I paid only about $7 for this bottle it probably wasn't the good stuff. :lol:

I cut up the CSRs and went with equal amounts of liquid for the marinade, and added some fresh pepper and red pepper flakes for a little bit of a kick.

The original plan was to make skewers but when I realized I didn't have enough mushrooms I grilled everything in a basket instead.

The pork tasted pretty good although it seemed like the soy sauce really took over and I couldn't tell if there was any flavor from the sake or not. Still, it was a nice change of pace and maybe I'll try this again (with a few changes) sometime.

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I always like a mix of Soy Sauce and BBQ Sauce in equal amounts on CSR's

Post Thu May 01, 2014 9:06 am
BBQ Deputy

That sounds good...I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Post Fri May 02, 2014 10:02 am
BBQ Deputy

I kept my word and smoked the frozen-too-long pork shoulder a couple of weeks ago. It was wrapped only in butcher paper and did have some freezer burn. :( But because it came from a Berkshire pig it had some nice marbling!
Image Image Image

I used a pretty simple rub of mostly paprika (some smoked), salt, and pepper with lesser amounts of mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery seed.
Image Image

I don't know how much it weighed but it took up most of a 15x11 Pyrex dish and required 14 hours in the WSM at 250-275 to finish. I started it at 4:15 on a Saturday afternoon and when I checked it at 6:15 the next morning it felt like I was pushing the thermo probe into butter. Mrs. Chicken had to work so I wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler until 4:00, and it was still almost too hot to handle when I unwrapped it. It also fell apart.

The drip pan was dry at the start and wound up containing over 1-2/3 cups of rendered fat!

I didn't want to throw it out so I used some of it for fried potatoes, and it added great flavor.
Image Image

The finished product, and the bone. Is that the actual shoulder joint?
Image Image

Let's eat! The pork was really moist and pulled with hardly any effort at all, and had a nice smoke flavor from the apple and hickory I used. Some of the outside meat was dry and tough from being freezer-burned but it was a very small amount and most of it was fine. The blackeyed peas were the Ranch brand and I added some of the pork fat into them as well.

Next

Return to General Discussion