Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Man Made Meals

Man Made Meals

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 pm
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

That looks like a tasty burger! I like that we're doing different recipes. Your pics make me go find the recipes and leave another post-it note.

This afternoon we tried the Lobster Tails w/ Garlic, Cumin, and Lime. The recipe was written for spiny lobster tails, and that's not what I got. I don't usually buy seafood at the grocery store, but I couldn't pass these lobster tails up for $5 a piece. We did them on the grill and they were killer. The basting/dipping sauce is spot-on...

12.JPG
12.JPG (84.75 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those look really good but I haven't seen $5 lobster tails since Valentine's Day. :( How strong was the cumin? I've found that sometimes I like a little bit less than what a recipe might call for.

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 pm
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Those look really good but I haven't seen $5 lobster tails since Valentine's Day. :( How strong was the cumin? I've found that sometimes I like a little bit less than what a recipe might call for.

I'm the same way with cumin, but I followed the recipe it wasn't overpowering at all. It all went together just right. I'm just wishing I had two more lobster tails. :thumbup:

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - those pics keep on coming. Great job, BaasPro - I was hoping lobster might be in there!

How many of the recipes in the book are at the top of all of you folks' lists? (Or does that list just keep growing?) You've all covered a few of my favorites already, so I can't wait to see what's next!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 am
BBQ Deputy

Hmmm...good question! I know I definitely liked the Stanley Tucci pork chops and would make them again, but right now I'm still working my way through it.

Which reminds me that last weekend I pulled up the Basic Steak recipe but went off the rails a little bit. I started with a big sirloin and the ingredients for the anchovy butter.

My planned side dish was Mushroom Hash but while I was making the anchovy butter I had an idea: why not cook the mushrooms in the butter and let them soak up the flavor? The butter is supposed to go on the steak but I like to get both meat and mushrooms in the same forkful, so it seemed like a change worth trying.
Image Image Image

I don't have a pan that could've accomodated the sirloin so by default it went on the grill.

The mushrooms had a very pronounced flavor and nicely complemented the steak. I've only used anchovies as ingredients a couple of times and they can really amp things up.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:32 pm
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

I haven't seen the mushroom hash recipe yet, but now I really want a steak w/ mushrooms!

I have a bunch of recipes bookmarked, but I'm just picking recipes based on what I have on hand -- I haven't actually gone shopping with the intent to do a certain recipe yet.

A friend let me borrow his Pit Barrel Cooker this weekend, so I started off with ribs, specifically Baby Backs w/ Cider Rum BBQ Sauce. The rub is a great starting point, and I really liked the sauce -- it reminds me of the Nashville Sweet sauce from 'BBQ U,' which has always been a favorite, but this one is a bit more mellow with the rum adding a nice touch. As the book says, this rub and sauce is a great starting point for figuring out how to smoke your own perfect ribs...

667.JPG
667.JPG (83.45 KiB) Viewed 1851 times

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:56 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

BaasPro and ScreamingChicken, those are some great looking meals! Can't wait to get this book!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:28 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Phew!-- You guys are certainly bringing the "WOW" factor! My,... what execution! :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 am
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

Thanks, guys! I'm finding easy recipes in here for pretty much everything I want to cook lately.

Over the weekend I did two Boston Butts on the PBC using rub, sauce, and slaw recipes from the book. It was the best pulled pork I've ever made, and the sandwich with a vinegar sauce and horseradish slaw was the best BBQ sandwich I've ever made, and one of the best I've ever had. Maybe THE best.

Carolina, er, Kentucky Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ Pig Picker Pucker Sauce & Creamy Horseradish Slaw:

15.JPG
15.JPG (134.74 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

16.JPG
16.JPG (78.95 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am
BBQ Deputy

Looks like the butt developed a nice smoke ring! What variety of wood did you use?

I probably won't be making pulled pork for awhile yet (too much going on these days) but will definitely take a close look at the recipe.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:20 pm
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks like the butt developed a nice smoke ring! What variety of wood did you use?

I probably won't be making pulled pork for awhile yet (too much going on these days) but will definitely take a close look at the recipe.

Thanks. Everybody seemed to like it. I used hickory; pretty much always do. Did a brisket the same way a few days later, but didn't get much of a smoke ring on that guy. No idea why. The brisket actually cooked at a lower temp, too. Tasted great, but just didn't look like I expected... :?

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 pm
BBQ Deputy

Recently I gave "Panko Crusted Chicken Cutlets" a try. It's a pretty simple recipe but pan-frying is something I don't do very often.

Instead of cutlets created from boneless, skinless chicken breasts I decided to use thighs, basically for 2 reasons: I like dark meat better, and since dark meat can take more cooking it meant I could shoot for a really dark brown appearance.

Hammer time! :twisted:

For the actual breading process the bowls were in a straight line. Flour (whatever Mrs. Chicken has in the flour canister), a jumbo egg lightly beaten, and some panko bread crumbs.

I used the "dry hand, wet hand" method and actually didn't do too bad, although the juice from the chicken meant that the dry hand eventually did get wet enough to pick up some flour. :wink:

I was expecting to get edible results but these were really quite good. I ate a couple of them and my daughter had one, and when Mrs. Chicken took the last 2 for lunch the next day she commented that even though the originally crispy crust had softened a bit she still liked them.

Plus, since the recipe's so simple with adult supervision it's suitable for kids as well.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:02 pm
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

Cool. Looks good. I think that one will be popular at my house... :thumbup:

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 am
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

We finally tried a couple more recipes -- Lemon & Mustard Roast Chicken w/ Garlic Lemon Jus and Garlic Roasted Potatoes. These recipes go great together and can be cooked at the same time. It's rare that the whole family likes the whole meal, but this was a big hit -- one of our best chickens ever, and we could eat these potatoes every day (which is nice because they are super easy to prepare).

Managed to get everything in the Weber Kettle to smoke roast (I added just a few Cherry chips). I love the green marinade on the chicken:
17.JPG
17.JPG (217.71 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Off the grill, the chicken is carved and covered with the Garlic Lemon Jus:
18.JPG
18.JPG (135.46 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Garlic Roasted Potatoes:
19.JPG
19.JPG (151.06 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 am
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

Lemon & Mustard Roast Chicken w/ Garlic Lemon Jus on Mixed Citrus Cracked Wheat Berries and Garlic Roasted Potatoes:
20.JPG
20.JPG (164.32 KiB) Viewed 945 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion