Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Holiday Feast

Holiday Feast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:54 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah sure, you get your own volume of "The Best of Monday Morning Wit and Wisdom of Grand Scale" street value fifty cents.

The irony here is it is just the cost of mailing you a blank sheet of paper.
Because we all know that my Monday morning humor and wisdon Don't exsist!

Wiseguy! :P

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand Scale,

Your wings recipe sounds delicious! I was wondering - how much sauce to you make for 30 wings? a 1/2 cup? Thanks for sharing!

Bob.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes it comes out to about 1/2 cup. The main two ingredients are of course the hot sauce and the margerine.

Good Luck, Let me know how you make out.

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:02 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This thread has been dead for a bit but now I need to revive it.
This weekend is my big event. I have on order a seven rib bone in prime rib!! My butcher just smiled when I ordered it. Yes I do have the "how to grill book" (Duh!) and I plan on using the recipe as my guide, but what I want/need to know from you guys is the finer points. What has/hasn't worked for you all. What do you serve it with (must be on the grill). Anything at all is appreciated. This will be a first for me and with 15 people watching I want to look good. (dry runs are for whimps!)
My mouth is watering for the weekend....

Thanks in advance for all the advise.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:22 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale,

I've never done a 7 rib bone in Prime Rib, but I have to admit it sure does sound like quite dinner. I've always been a meat, potato, vegetable, kind of person. Perhaps baked potatoes, grilled vegetables. Maybe grilled shrimp to add to the dinner. Just some of my thoughts. If I was going to..that's where I would start. Just my $.02 cents worth..In any event, I'm sure that it will be quite successful. You and dkirn are my new heroes!! Good luck.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:29 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale,

I have to admit that I have never done a rib roast on the grill or in the smoker, but sound interesting. I am thinking that such a nice piece of meat would not benefit from low and slow cooking so the smoker seems out. On the grill, with indirect heat, hmmm……this sounds good. I will anxiously await your report. However, you live north of me, and grilling and/or smoking is not a possibility for a while. Poor me. The grilling patio and equipment have a foot of snow.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:05 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

My technique with a big piece of cow is the same both inside and ourtside. I start out at a low temperature until my trust probe reads about 10 degrees below my target and then I put the spurs to 'er to sear the outside. I like the taste of meat so I don't really do much to the outside. I wouldn't object to finishing with a garlic herb compound butter though.
Live Different

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:46 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale,

Let us know how your weekend Prime Rib dinner goes. What did you finally settle on for the side dishes. Prime Rib cooked on the grill...it doesn't get any better!!

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:22 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

This thread of posts has given me an idea. I like smoke taste. I also like good beef very rare. I am thinking of trying the following. Rub a standing rib roast – medium size – with lots of salt and pepper and put it in the smoker. Then instead of the low and slow approach, I would add lots of hunks to the fire box and keep the smoking chamber at a huge 400 degrees. I figure that in an hour or so I would have a seared/smoked on the outside nice and rare rib roast. Now I realize the smoke penetration would not be like a 12 hour pork shoulder, but some smoke and nice and rare. Anyone tried this approach and any ideas. Now all I need is some decent weather……..

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This weekend has opfficially turned into two days, yes count'em two! So here's the plan of attack. Day one will be my beautiful (I've never seen a prettier piece of beef) 7 rib bone in prime rib with a homemade garlic horseraddish sauce. It will be accompanied by twice baked potatos w/ a salt crust on the grill and a homemade ceasar salad, and a Harry and Davids Cheesecake to finish it off.. We'll be eating all day too so more is not necessary and the purpose of the party, the christmas cookies, will be extra desert
Day two will be wings on the grill (using my sauce) with homemade blue cheese dressing and celery and pizza on the grill. This day is more about snacking than a meal. So....we're all set.
I'm going to be grilling the roast indirect with garlic slivers in it and rubbed with garlic salt, pepper, rosemary, and mustard. I'll be smokeing it with some hickory, similar to the way Roff talks about (I'll let you know how it turns out).

We're all set. All thats left is to pick up a fresh keg of Yuengling and I'm all set!

Oh yeah one question that hopefully someone can answer me before the end of the day. In the book Steve says that an appx 10 lb roast takes 1 1/2 for rare. That equals about 9 minuted per pound. Is this what you guys base your time on?? That seems pretty quick to me?

Thanks for the help and the support.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:17 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Hmmm... that brings up an interesting question. Can beef be cold smoked? Need someone with much more expertiece than me to answer.
Live Different

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:07 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Well Grand Scale you are a step ahead of me - I was going to suggest twice baked potatos on the grill for your side dish.

Good luck with the weekend feast and let us know how it turned out!

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:45 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well the weekend went off with Many hitches. First my crowd was reduced due to illness and a terminally ill family member, which of course put a shadow over the events. Then it got worse from there. The girls couldn't get into the baking mood and once the cookie press broke that ended. The joy wasn't there to get into the drinkin' so that fizzeled too. The roast with all its glory went onto the grill fine and started great, then joined the rest of the day. I was having trouble with keeping the heat up so I got a bit greedy with my burners and lit up a bit too close to the roast, even on low. Next time I looked I had a fireball of monumentous proportions. The entire roast was engulfed in flame (think marshmellow over a campfire) fortunately it didn't really even char the meat, just crisped it, think seared to the Nth degree. I recouped brilliantly though I used the infrared burner for the remaining time to keep the temp I wanted. I just had to rotate it more often to evenly cook it. I did over cook it a bit. Was shooting for Rare and Got Medium. Those last few degree progressed quicker than I imagined. But the good news was that it was still very tender and juicy and everybody raved. So all was not lost. Except for the horseraddish sauce which was forgotten. And the potatos were fabulous. They ended up being twice baked with sour cream, cheese, baccon, and roasted garlic with a salt skin. And were outstanding. No food was left.

Day two never happend as a result of weather.

Talk about leftovers. I've got wing for an army, they will be vaccumed and frozen today.

So the weekend had its ups and downs. But I'll be ready for next time...

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Luke,

Beef jerky is cold smoked but for safety reasons must be cured properly. I'm not sure about the larger cuts.

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:27 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand Scale,

I'm sorry to hear of the illness.

We strive for perfection in our culinary art, where you and I suppose most would prefer a rare cut of meat, the medium roast you described sounds like my perfect cut of meat. I enjoy a little caramelization on the outside and medium to medium-well inside.

I hope all get well soon!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion