Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Onion burgers

Onion burgers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My favorite fast food burger is the White Castle "slyder" and they're griddled with onions, and onion burgers are an Oklahoma specialty in places like El Reno. So while I'm not the biggest fan of onions I thought I'd give my own version a try.

I started with a pound of ground beef and a regular yellow onion, which I sliced into rings and tossed with olive oil.
Image Image

I put my perforated grill sheet over charcoal and when it was good and hot I spread out the onions and put the burgers on top. The onions sizzled nicely and gave off a great aroma, but they also shielded the burgers from the grill sheet and kept them from getting a nice crust.

The burgers were good but didn't have as much onion flavor as I expected, so topping them with raw or grilled onions really helped.
Image Image

The next time I grill burgers this way I'll use a stronger, more potent onion. In the meantime, the closest White Castle is in Kenosha... :lol:

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:21 am
sroach well done
well done

SC,

I love grilled onions, nothing better!! I usually go with a red onion sliced thick or a vidalia.

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:50 am
Trollby well done
well done

I did burgers on the grill last night for dinner, looked nicer out that it was. Just did nice 80:20 ground chuck in 1/3# patties with aged Cheddar cheese

I should of grilled some onions

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm
mco5044 raw
raw

Has anyone tried one of those stuffed burger products yet? I see the As Seen on Tv Ads all of the time. Not sure if they are just a gimmick or actually work because it would save a lot of time!
Check us out at http://mycavetools.com We Design and Sell Super High Quality Grilling Products

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm
Trollby well done
well done

mco5044 wrote:
Has anyone tried one of those stuffed burger products yet? I see the As Seen on Tv Ads all of the time. Not sure if they are just a gimmick or actually work because it would save a lot of time!

Bed Bath and Beyond has three different types, from what I have read you need to use wax paper or buy the custom paper or the patties stick in the press.

I been thinking of picking one up just to try it since only like $18

Return to General Discussion