Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Selection Sunday & St. Patrick's Day

Selection Sunday & St. Patrick's Day

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

While they aren't the holidays that give us days off from work, stop mail delivery, and close banks they're still a couple of well-known special days. Anyone here doing anything for either? Mrs. Chicken's working today so I'm just going to grill some andouille sausages later on and since tomorrow's a weekday our corned beef will at least start in the slow cooker, but I'm thinking about maybe finishing it on the grill to add some marks and maybe a little browning.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:33 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The closest I got was a corned beef sandwich. But it was a really good corned beef sandwich on rye bread, with stone-ground mustard and Dubliner cheese, so that counts. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:41 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It counts, and it sounds darn good!

The corned beef was too flimsy when I took it out of the slow cooker so my grill idea fell through. :(

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:00 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
It counts, and it sounds darn good!

The corned beef was too flimsy when I took it out of the slow cooker so my grill idea fell through. :(

This likely doesn't apply to your cook, but one of the tricks I've used for slicing is to weight the meat down and cool it in the fridge. This works for terrines and for pastrami, and I found it works nicely on corned beef as well. It firms up the meat and allows you to slice it more thinly without breaking up. If I want it warm, I just heat it up again in the microwave.

If it fell apart out of the slow cooker, though, I wonder if it was cooked too long? (I've done that too.) :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion