Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken Beats Beef

Chicken Beats Beef

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Big news: The U.S. if full of chicken enthusiasts. For the first time in a long time (maybe ever), Americans are eating more chicken than beef. Are you surprised?

Find out more and get tips for grilling the best chicken ever:
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/02/21/chicken-trumps-beef/

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I find it rather easy to believe for the reasons stated, Julia. Cool cooking tips there, too! I imagine that pork consumption is also up. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm not surprised, especially with beef prices going up these days. Just yesterday I picked up my annual split half and for all the years I've been buying bulk I've never spent more. :(

Chicken seems to be a little more versatile, too. Fried, baked, roasted, broiled, red sauce, white sauce...so many ways to prepare it.

My beef guy is getting out of the business so this'll probably be the last year I buy it in bulk. I can easily see myself buying more chicken and less beef in the future.

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've found the same thing about beef myself: I'm eating less of it. And that's mostly to do with the price, too. Because of that I've been buying a lot of beef only when it goes on sale, and then freezing it for later.

That's odd, too, because I live in farm country and the price is usually lower. One of the benefits, however, is that the high price has been steering me towards some local butchers who have their own herds. Not only is the price sometimes a little bit cheaper, but they often have the lesser-known cuts that people don't try, like hanger steak.

In my area (Northern Alberta, Canada) one thing that likely accounts for the upswing in chicken sales is that people are buying a lot more farm-raised chicken. 2 years ago I knew one farmer that raised his own chickens and sold them directly to the public. Today there are a dozen and they're all doing well. These so-called "farm-raised" birds are actually just free-range chickens, but they are a lot meatier and tastier than commercial birds by far. I have one chicken in the freezer that's the size of a small turkey, in fact, and the birds I get from that farm are the tastiest I've ever eaten.

I wondered when I read this article whether the increase in chicken consumption was at all to do with the fact that some people raise them in their backyards now, even in urban settings. But I don't think the idea has caught on enough yet to make a difference. I've been considering raising some chickens and maybe some rabbits myself, in fact, but it's a bit too much work right now.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:31 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

That seems true with most people I have talked to :chicken:

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 pm
Trollby well done
well done

My family cut back on beef due to I get several deer each year, so we have been eating that as our red meat of choice.

I mean which would you have?

Nice venison steak or lean ground Venison (almost free) or Beef Steak or Ground beef for $5 per pound

I know I have to add fat when I make burgers or they fall apart, but for ground meat dishes the venison is my go-to.

I am getting a little low on venison down to 80# or so left ;) (needs to last me until November 2014)

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Beef prices are crazy high. Pot roast 5.99 a pound. I thought that was supposed to be cheap!

I can get a nice USDA Prime NY strip for myself at around 15 bucks or I can get a (small) rack of lamb at the same price. Sure glad I love lamb!

Don't get me started on seafood prices.

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:19 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Seattle-Q wrote:
Beef prices are crazy high. Pot roast 5.99 a pound. I thought that was supposed to be cheap!
Are there any inexpensive cuts left anymore? :( It was bad enough when TV cooking shows started talking up the cuts that used to be cheap (no offense, Steven!) and now we have to deal with the market-based price increases as well.

Forget 401(k)...I think I'll put my money into 401 head of Angus! :wink:

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:15 am
Trollby well done
well done

Worse thing for me was when Chuck-eye's got very popular.

I use to buy them up all the time at dirt cheap price, now they are just under Rib-eye for cost. Heck seen them higher than sirloin in price now :oops:

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:13 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Worse thing for me was when Chuck-eye's got very popular.

I use to buy them up all the time at dirt cheap price, now they are just under Rib-eye for cost. Heck seen them higher than sirloin in price now :oops:

I've seen them go up steeply as well, to the point where it's almost better just to buy a bone-in rib-eye. Some of the stores up here still sell them as "cross-rib steak" and that's cheaper than a rib-eye, but it's often higher than sirloin in my local stores.

The same darn thing happened with skirt steak, flank steak, and chicken wings. If a pork blade steak craze even happens, we'll really be hurting. What bothers me even more is once the hype cools down and the demand for that particular meat drops, the prices still stay high. :evil:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion