Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion OT kind of: How many quarts is your goto Dutch Oven?

OT kind of: How many quarts is your goto Dutch Oven?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Sorry for the OT topics but I like this board for talking about cooking the most.

I have been debating on what size Dutch Oven I want to buy. I am thinking 5 quart but then I think smaller is better because I cook for 1 then I think larger because I entertain a lot.

So what size is your goto Dutch Oven?

BubbaQue well done
well done

I have three I use often. I have a 5qt., a 7qt., and a 3qt. chicken fryer. The chicken fryer does nothing but fry. Here in the Florida Panhandle I fry seafood often and I wanted to have a dedicated cast iron fryer. The 7qt. is my gumbo pot. Nothing makes a good roux like cast iron. The 5qt. is just because I wanted it. Remember its better to have too much than not enough.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

SQ, I have a 3.5 and a 5, with the 3.5 definitely being my go to most all the time. The 3.5 is sufficient to do pretty much anything for 4 people. The 5 quart is one heavy beast! It also does not seem to simmer things as well as the 3.5 when filled to lower levels. Nevertheless, if I need to make a huge batch of something, it is a real blessing. :cheers:
Got beer???

Trollby well done
well done

I have several....

What type are you looking at? (kitchen type, charcoal type?)

Also I have ones that are Round and Square in shape (square are more for cooking deserts or baking/pastry)

I have:
3qt
5qt
6qt
9qt

for sizes

Seattle-Q well done
well done

I was looking at a 3.5 quart for kitchen use and I was thinking it might be too small. Maybe I should rethink that after reading all your comments.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Seattle-Q wrote:
I was looking at a 3.5 quart for kitchen use and I was thinking it might be too small. Maybe I should rethink that after reading all your comments.

SQ, an alternative is to get two 3.5's, if for some reason you need more. I swear, I believe two 3.5's to be preferable than one 7, for example. But that's just me. :D
Got beer???

sroach well done
well done

Seattle,

Like everyone else said, we have a 3.5 and a 5qt, I find we use the 5 qt the most.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I bought mine at Cabela's a number of years ago and they didn't have 5-quart ovens. I settled for a 6-quart (10") Cabela's -brand Dutch Oven and it's a great size. I'm planning on getting a 12-quart oven soon, though, for the bigger hunting expeditions where I wind up bringing a lot of the gear.

I'd like to get a 3.5 or 4 quart oven for solo trips, however, as it would likely fit perfectly inside my Coleman campstove oven as well. Can anyone recommend a good brand? (I know Lodge is great but I can't find anyone who stocks the smaller ones.)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Seattle-Q well done
well done

I bought the 3.5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven and will give it a run tomorrow on a little Irish stew I am making. I think it will be a perfect size as I normally cook for just 1. I can see a 5 quart in my future if I really find myself using this one a lot.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Did you grill the meat before putting it into the stew? :wink:

Seattle-Q well done
well done

Honestly I did not. I browned it in a pan at first. I didn't think about grilling pork shoulder. It would of added another layer of flavor I bet.

Trollby well done
well done

One of the best things about a Kitchen dutch-oven is that you can brown the meat right in the thing and the deglaze for more flavor.

I used my 3 qt unit to make mountain-man breakfast yesterday, family loves it

grillmarks rare
rare

Little late to party....BUT I am pondering between the 8 - 10 qt. Think I have it narrowed down to this one http://www.beststovetopgrill.com/2014/0 ... eview.html Besides the size, I am not too sure about the brand. Obviously, a high quality dutch oven will last generations. Two questions I guess:

- Usually cooking for around 4 people, occasionally a few more. Which size do you think would be best?
- Any experience with this Dutch Oven? Other recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :)

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

grillmarks wrote:
Little late to party....BUT I am pondering between the 8 - 10 qt. Think I have it narrowed down to this one http://www.beststovetopgrill.com/2014/0 ... eview.html Besides the size, I am not too sure about the brand. Obviously, a high quality dutch oven will last generations. Two questions I guess:

- Usually cooking for around 4 people, occasionally a few more. Which size do you think would be best?
- Any experience with this Dutch Oven? Other recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :)

At first glance an 8-quart might be a bit large for 4 people but then, there's the possibility of leftovers too. And for more than 4 people, the 8-quart is a good size.

If the price is right, that dutch oven ought to do just fine.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

grillmarks rare
rare

Thanks CharredGriller :thumbup: That is kinda what I was thinking and the price is right as well. Always better to have leftovers, than not enough! :mrgreen:

Return to General Discussion