Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Stuffed Pumpkin

Grilled Stuffed Pumpkin

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Forgot about this until I ran across the pix tonight. I got this idea from a guy at 2013's eggtoberfest in Stone Mountain, GA. His stuffed pumpkin was so good that I had to try it for myself.

You start with a rice, sausage and veggie mixture:

Then add it to a bowling ball sized pumpkin that has been cleaned of it's "guts." :) Along with cubes of cheese.

Then put the lid back on, grill it indirect and let it go until the pumpkin's flesh hits 200 f internal temp. You can use a cake pan to help prop it up.

Serve it up with the filling and the flesh of the pumpkin. The sour cream is nice, depending on how spice up your filling.

Can't wait to make another one up this Fall. Never would have thought to eat pumpkin like this, nor would I have thought I'd actually like it. But the pumpkin actually tastes very similar to yellow squash...just a little sweeter.

Here is the gentleman's recipe for those of you interested (You can adjust the seasonings if you don't have some of those on hand...that's what I did):

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?op ... yle=co-med
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:36 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very unusual! Did you use a pie pumpkin? It seems like that would be the best choice.

The big ones probably don't have much flavor, but imagine stuffing one and then cooking it in the ground. It'd probably be an awesome presentation!

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:49 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nicely done, Dyal. That pumpkin turned out perfect! :cheers:

I grow a few different kinds of pumpkins almost every year, from a few huge ones 2-3 feet in diameter right down to the baseball-sized ones. This year or next year I even plan to try a couple of Dill's Atlantic Giants (which can grow up to 600 pounds or better) assuming I can improve my irrigation system. My favorites are still pie pumpkins, though.

Pie pumpkins are best for this dish, because the really big pumpkins are too stringy, and the little bitty ones have no flesh at all and are more like a bottle gourd than a squash. I cut a few open last year and they had about 1/4 inch of flesh beneath the skin.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:21 am
sroach well done
well done

Dyal,

Awesome idea!!! I am going to definitely do this!! Would be a good fall party food!

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Not sure if this pumpkin was technically a "pie pumpkin," but it had thick flesh and was the size of a bowling ball. It wasn't stringy and had good flavor, so if it wasn't a pie pumpkin, I lucked out! Definitely gonna give one of these a go again in the Fall.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

I hate to admit it, but I tried this tonight and then promptly dropped it on the deck while removing it from the grill. Argh. It looked real nice before it was shattered! Ugh. Will try again...
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am
BBQ Deputy

Ugh, that sucks...so did it go splat or was it more of a thump? :wink:

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 am
BaasPro medium
medium

Splat. :oops:
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

This looks completely awesome. In South America they do a similar dish, stuffing the pumpkin w picadillo (a beef, raisin, and olive hash). Nice work!

SR

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 am
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro wrote:
Splat. :oops:
Well, at least you know that it was fully cooked and tender so we'll give you full credit. :wink: Unfortunately it's one of those things that you can't just pick up and dust off...

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Not sure if this pumpkin was technically a "pie pumpkin," but it had thick flesh and was the size of a bowling ball. It wasn't stringy and had good flavor, so if it wasn't a pie pumpkin, I lucked out! Definitely gonna give one of these a go again in the Fall.

Dyal - I've been helping an aunt of mine make and can pumpkin pie filling for 31 years, so yes, that's a pie pumpkin. Otherwise the flesh would have been thinner and stringier.

BaasPro - sorry to hear about the splat. Was anything salvageable at all? (My guess is "no")
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion