Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoke-Simmered Chili

Smoke-Simmered Chili

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:45 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 58
Do you have your own strong opinions about chili? Especially what goes in it, on it, or with it (cornbread)? The debate over chili is the fastest way to start a food fight. Especially if a Texan is present.

Which side are you on?


Get Steven's 9 tips to help you up your chili game:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/02/28/chili-goes-smoke/

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:59 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7452
Location: Stoughton, WI
"All chili is good chili."

True, unless it just happens to be bad. :wink:

I like it with and without beans...as long as it tastes good I'm OK with it!

I've never made it from scratch but I do like to doctor up the prepackaged mixes like Carroll Shelby and Six Gun with grilled and smoked meat. And a few years ago the guy who won our annual chili contest at work started with a small pork butt that I smoked.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:21 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Posts: 3712
Location: Lexington, SC
ScreamingChicken wrote:
I like it with and without beans...as long as it tastes good I'm OK with it!



+1! With and without beans, I have had some killer chili. My favorite chili is made with leftover smoked brisket.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Image

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Posts: 650
Location: Panama City Beach, Fl.

I'm in Northwest Florida we are not know for chili. I grew up with chili simular to Wendy's. I like beans in mine in fact I use three beans, pinto, black, and red. I also like chunky chili not soupy. I love my jalapeno cornbread with it, but tradition in the south is to crumble up saltines in your chili to thicken it. Top with cheese, green onions, and a dolup of sour cream. I'd love some bout now over my omlet.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:40 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

Posts: 26
Location: Fontana, CA
I too love ALL good chili - with/without beans. I only had bad chili once - at a chili cook-off, I sampled chili made with Alpo. Yuk! No blend of peppers or beans could make that taste good.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Posts: 1301
Location: MadCity, WI

I am the Chili supper coordinator for my son's Boy Scout Troop.
We make a chili dinner every year (this year was 69th annual supper), I make something like 700 quarts of chili for the event.

We make several types since many people like different Chili:

Meat only
Meat and Bean
Hot Hobo (Meat and Bean with a special relish added to it)
Meat and Noodle
Meat, Bean and Noodle
White Chili
Vegetarian

All but the ones with Noodle are Gluten Free

Takes two days in Kitchen to get ready for the dinner service the second night (4-7pm)

Since I register a commercial kitchen and get the restaurant permit for the event we don't have a "Smoker" so none is "Smoked Chili" but would be a nice addition, but last thing I need is to add more to the event ;)

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5839
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Trollby wrote:
I am the Chili supper coordinator for my son's Boy Scout Troop.
We make a chili dinner every year (this year was 69th annual supper), I make something like 700 quarts of chili for the event.

We make several types since many people like different Chili:

Meat only
Meat and Bean
Hot Hobo (Meat and Bean with a special relish added to it)
Meat and Noodle
Meat, Bean and Noodle
White Chili
Vegetarian

All but the ones with Noodle are Gluten Free

Takes two days in Kitchen to get ready for the dinner service the second night (4-7pm)

Since I register a commercial kitchen and get the restaurant permit for the event we don't have a "Smoker" so none is "Smoked Chili" but would be a nice addition, but last thing I need is to add more to the event ;)


Well, you could pre-smoke the meat instead. That won me a chili competition up here, and it would cut down the prep time a bit... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:15 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Posts: 945
Location: Simi Valley, CA
JuliaBBQB wrote:
Do you have your own strong opinions about chili? Especially what goes in it, on it, or with it (cornbread)? The debate over chili is the fastest way to start a food fight. Especially if a Texan is present.

Which side are you on?


Get Steven's 9 tips to help you up your chili game:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/02/28/chili-goes-smoke/


No food fight needed, no beans are needed :D :D
Jimmy
Image
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver


Return to General Discussion