Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials The Things we do for BBQ.....

The Things we do for BBQ.....

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm
Hookecho User avatar
rare
rare

So this past weekend (03/02/14) I decided to some some briskets, I had one frozen and one that was whispering to me..."smoke me.....smoooooke me...." so I did. I havent had time since Christmas to get my smoke on. These were a 19 and 18 lbs prime briskets, so I prepped as normal, trimmed the fat and silver skin off as much as possible, got the points off the flats and put them to bed in foil pans for the night, as I'd inject and rub in the morning while I got the fire up and running.

The next morning I am greeted with a balmy 5 degrees outside with sleet/snow and big Kansas wind. Luckily my BBQ "porch" is protected on 3 sides so wind was not really an issue.....but damn it was cold!

I got the fires lit for the coal base, 4 chimneys of lump. I also fired up the pellet just in case (good thing I did). While the pit is coming up to temp, I went in and injected the briskets (Butchers BBQ Prime Dust and a little worcestershire) and then got some rub on them, one in Plowboys Bovine Bold, one in BPS Money. Points were the same.

Next began a epic 6 hour struggle between me and my fire! Good lord what a fight. Normally my Yoder runs 250 to 300 with little effort on my part other than a good coal base and 1 stick an hour, one stick at 45 mins to the side of the firebox to get right up to ignition temp, and one on top to get "warm". Think assembly line. This one required 1 chimney of lump and 2 sticks every 30 mins and I was barely keeping up. I was alternating 1 stick of Pecan and 1 stick of Oak or 2 sticks of Pecan. It was insane how much fuel I was going thru. Even though my Yoder has a ton of thermal mass, when its 5-7 degrees ambient, the temp swings were not fun to watch. All I kept thinking was "just get it to the foil....all will be good then" because I knew I could foil and get them in the pellet to finish and I was about out of sticks and lump. This was my plan, so when the flats got to the right color and about 150ish temp wise, I wrapped them and the points and put them in the pellet.

The points got done 1st (naturally) so I make burnt ends, and put a light coat of sauce on them then back in the pellet to glaze in....

The flats got done (finally!) and I brought them in for slicing.....not looking too bad considering the battle just rendered!

And they passed the bendy over the finger test! Sorry cant do a pull test as my dog sucks at holding the camera stable without shakes and wild swings of where the lens is pointing (Squirrel!)

And all packed up for the office and some friends to sample. The office devoured what I took in and my friends.....are still my friends so I guess I did ok.

Hope all your smokes go better than mine. Just remember, when its super cold out.....have lots of fuel!
Hook

Yoder 640 Comp
Yoder 1500 Comp
Yoder Kingman Comp

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Way to take on the elements and emerge victorious! Does Yoder use 1/4" steel for its smokers?

Those are some heavy-duty carts your smokers are on. Is the smaller one the pellet-burner?

With some of the miniature video cameras out there now it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a dog's-eye view of the smoking process. Provided the dog's willing to wear the camera, of course... :wink:

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:55 pm
Hookecho User avatar
rare
rare

I believe my Yoder Kingman (stick burner) is 1/4" plate with 3/8" plate on the firebox. I think the pellet poopers are 1/8" steel throughout the cook chamber and not sure the gage on the pellet box. The Yoder YS1500 pellet (which is almost the size of my Kingman stick burner) is 3/16".

Those carts are stout. That Kingman weighs in at 1285 lbs. 1800 sq. inches on the main and 680 sq. inches on the 2nd shelf.

The smaller one with the thermal jacket is a Yoder YS640 pellet pooper. 640 sq. inches on the main level. The 2nd shelf adds 434 sq. inches.

Both are on comp carts for mobility, well a mobile as a 1200# unit can be. They have a bigger one the Frontiersman comp at 3100 lbs. if you enough area to feed a small country.

My GSP would just eat a GoPro....burp and then wag his tail lol
Hook

Yoder 640 Comp
Yoder 1500 Comp
Yoder Kingman Comp

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:28 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
With some of the miniature video cameras out there now it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a dog's-eye view of the smoking process. Provided the dog's willing to wear the camera, of course... :wink:

We all could just do like Si Robertson on Duck Dynasty and stick a Go Cam on our heads, Brad. Might work. :twisted:

I'd like to figure out some mounts for the new iPhone I bought, because the tripod-mounted dSLR I use is too cumbersome for grill shots and my work BlackBerry is a bit clumsy. :D

The brisket and the smokers both look mighty fine, Hookecho! :bbq:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to Testimonials