Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sort of OT: Has anyone used the UMAI Dry age kits before?

Sort of OT: Has anyone used the UMAI Dry age kits before?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I am interested in the charcuterie Capicola and wondering if anyone here has ever tried to make it themselves and if you had good luck with it? It is not a huge investment in money but there is a lot of time invested in just waiting for it to age.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-umai-charcuterie.php

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have no experience but it looks pretty neat...give it a shot!

phillyjazz well done
well done

I have been using their dry-age bags for years with great success. I did buy a snorkel-type vacuum unit.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I haven't tried it, but those cuts on their site look positively amazing. 8)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Dyal_SC well done
well done

My wife got me one for Christmas a few years ago. I've actually only used it twice. Both times with a whole NY Strip Loin. Had great results. It's about time for me to dry age another. The bags are unique in the fact that they wick moister out of the meat, but they prevent foreign odors and flavors from penetrating into the meat from outside sources. I hear other people "go commando" without the bag, but the bag gives me a nice peace of mind. The one in the following pics was dry aged for 21 days. I'm going to age for longer next time. But the flavor was unreal even for only a 21 day age.

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a good-looking roast, Dyal! Do you have a dedicated fridge for aging?

The bag really makes it look simple. Seems the hardest part would be finding a place where it would be undisturbed for a few weeks.

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Brad, yup, my wife bought me a fridge for the garage at the same time she bought me the dry aging kit.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion