Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Some Mini BGE Cooks

Some Mini BGE Cooks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I've been having a blast cooking on the Mini since purchasing it last year. I've taken it camping and to the beach a coupla times. But mostly use it in the backyard. It's amazing how long I can get the baby egg to cook on just, literally, a handful of coal. The grate size on the mini BGE is only 10 inches, but with a couple of accessories, it's easy to fit large cuts of meat on there. It handles like a little beast, and it produces some awesome results. Here are some examples of what I've been able to cook on it:

Whole Rack of Baby Back Ribs

Some various camping meals:

Probably not the best idea for using the soda can...but it's all I had at the time for the beans. :lol: There was no lining inside the can, but I imagine the dye on the outside of the can is unhealthy somehow. I dunno, but I'm still living. ;)

A healthier option for chicken wings...some sauced chicken tenders. One was buffalo style and the other was a honey mustard w/ jalapeno sauce that I whipped up.

A mess of MOINKS

Then took the Mini to the beach in Ocean City, MD for vacation. Made a variety of personal sized pizzas and some other stuff

Found that my favorite pizza was the Cheeseburger Pizza! It had ketchup and mustard as the base, along with hamburger meat, raw onions, pickles and ample amounts of cheese! Yum!

Used some of the leftover smoked chorizos for some Smoked Chorizo Pizza. Another winner!

And finally an injected 3.5 lb whole chicken with some fresh herbs tucked under the skin.

There's been other cooks on it as well, but that'll do for now. ;) It's a fun little grill to have, and it's very portable and versatile. And it's super cool that you can grill on just a handful of coal for several hours.

:cheers:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:39 am
BaasPro medium
medium

Great pics! That thing looks like fun.
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 am
Griffin well done
well done

Man, you've been cooking up a storm on that thing. I think I've only used mine once this year for some lamb chops.

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nifty use of the Dr. Pepper can, Dyal! Did you use any of it in the beans? :lol:

How much does the little feller weigh?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That mini is too cute, Dyal. 8) You sure know what to do with it!--All looks heavenly, and the char on dem ribs looks irresistibly delicious!
Got beer???

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 am
sroach well done
well done

Dyal,

Great photos as always... Love the beans in the soda can!!

Where did you find that perfect pizza stone for the mini?

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, guys!

SC, it weighs 30 pounds. Not at all difficult to maneuver around. And nope, I didn't use any Dr. Pepper in my beans, but I did drink my fair share of them. :lol:

sroach, it's the Old Stone Oven brand of pizza stones. They're only $20 for the pair of them off of Amazon. I use one for indirect heat and the other for the pizza. Griffin turned me on to those. They work perfectly!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 am
sroach well done
well done

Awesome..

I am ordering today.

My sister has the mini and she really couldn't do indirect, this is a perfect gift for her.

Thanks.

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

sroach, you may want to get the "mini woo" from ceramicgrillstore to go with them. It allows you to use the stones to go indirect.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 pm
sroach well done
well done

So Dyal,

You do the Mini Woo then a pizza stone just to act as the Plate Setter on the larger BGE's?

When you do pizza do you then put the second stone on top of that?

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

sroach wrote:
So Dyal,

You do the Mini Woo then a pizza stone just to act as the Plate Setter on the larger BGE's?

When you do pizza do you then put the second stone on top of that?

Yup, that's the order, sroach. For indirect cooks, you first place your woo on top of the egg's fire ring. Then slide in your stone, and then your grate on top of woo. You can see the indirect setup with the ribs, MOINKS and chorizos. I like to wrap the stone with some foil to keep it clean. The grate locks in place on top of the woo, and you have about a half inch or so of separation between the grate and the stone. For pizzas, you do the same setup, but just add one more pizza stone on top of the grate. If you look closely at the pizza pix, you can see that both stones are utilized.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:43 am
sroach well done
well done

Ahh perfect, the pic with the sausages shows this exactly.

Return to General Discussion