Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chili-NOT the grill

Chili-NOT the grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:31 pm
chagan well done
well done

OK people, let's have it. I want an authentic, kicking chili recipe. My wife can make up a decent batch, but I want an award winner. I'm looking for something in the Texas style- made with bite sized pieces of beef- not ground. Who will step up and offer? Thanks.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:41 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Check out www.chili.org

This is the last word on competition chili.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:24 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok Chagan I have never competed in a BBQ competition, But I have competed in a Chili cookoff. Last year was my first and I competed in the Highest category with the Pros and Restaurants. Out of 100 +/- Teams mine was 4th. I probably would have placed higher but I think it was too hot for the judges tastebuds (imagine that). But we were the crowd favorite serving almost 70 Quarts of Chili. I'm a firm believer that no chili is the same twice so I don't have a firm recipe but I can tell you the process.

Start off with Ground Sirloin and Loose Sausage. Smoke them until cooked and add at the end. I use mesquite chunks soaked in Bourbon. Smoking it makes it clump together and gives you great flavor and those big bites of meat. Use fresh tomatos. Boil them and peel them and cut them into large chunks. Throw in pot to start reducing. Roast Yellow Bell Peppers, peel, chop and add to pot. Peeling is important for both the tomato and the peppers. Chopped Onion slightly sauteed. I also use lots of chopped garlic. As well as sliced Jalapenos. I know I should use fresh but when making 80qts in total you go with jars for those two things. I use beans in mine too. Seasonings: Beer to start the process, bourbbon at the end it. Franks Red hot. Lots of Cumin. Seasoned Pepper, Salt, Ground Mustard, Chili Powder, Red Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, and a little oregano. And Tobasco for kick. I personally don't like cilantro so I don't use it.

Serve with either cornbread or flour tortillas and cheese and sour cream.

Drink with margaritas or "muchos mas cervesas"

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:25 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

TEXAS CHILI*

2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
2 Lbs Stewing Beef, cubed
1 C. Chopped Onions
1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 12 oz. Can Tomato Paste
2 1/2 C. Water
2 Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, rinsed, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 Tbs Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 15 1/2 oz. Can Pinto Beans, drained (optional)

In a large heavy pan, heat oil, and brown beef cubes on all isdes. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic, and fry them with beef for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except beans, and simmer the chili for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add beans, and simmer 30 minutes longer. (optional)
*courtesy of Lone Star Brewing Co.

Beans are optional as every true Texan will tell you that there are NO beans in real chili. :wink:

Also forgot to mention that I like to eat mine with a tall, cold one and some mexican cornbread.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:47 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Chili Verdé
5 Roasted Pablano pepper (skinned and seeded)
5 Roasted jalapeños
5 tomatillos Roasted
1 head of garlic Roasted, peeled and mashed
1 large onion roasted
1 cup fresh cilantro- chopped
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs of salt (adjust to taste), pepper to taste
¼ cup o limejuice
3 tbs olive oil
2 lbs smoked pulled pork or pork tenderloin cut into cubes.
For best results, roast all veges on the grill (preferably over charcoal). Combine the first nine ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. In a hot Dutch oven placed on a grill over coals, or on the stove, place oil and brown the pork (if using tenderloin), if using pulled pork just stir in the meat until warm. Pour the roasted vege mixture over the pork and simmer until the pork is fully cooked (if using tenderloin), or until the whole mixture is warm (if using pulled pork). Stir well, garnish with fresh cilantro, and serve with favorite sides.

Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks folks, I think that I have more than enough info to get started. I appreciate the thorough and lengthy responses! Anyone else please feel free to add. Very impresive Grand Scale, 4th is quite a respectable place for your first try :!: :)

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:12 am
Big D well done
well done

Well I think I have a pretty solid chilli recipe, but I think I will make a few alterations,,, that site on competition chilli has got me craving to make a huge pot this weekend

I like my chillis flaming hot and lots of meat, I also like a good amount and good variety of vegtables

1lbs ground beef
1lbs ground pork
16 oz. cubed striploin grilliing steak
4 hot italian sauages
4 whole tomatoes
2 onions chopped
2 ea chopped Green and Red peppers
2 sliced jalapeons
1 haberno pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp ground cumin
1tsp each salt, black pepper,
2 tsp cayenne pepper,
1 tsp dried greek oregano and ground corriander
3 cans tomato paste
1 can condensed beef stock
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
3 tbsp tobasco sauce
1 cup stronb coffe
1 cup dark beer
2 cans kideny beans
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp hickory liquid smoke

I think all the vegetables - like tomatoes, onions, green peppers, etc. I will roast directly on the ambers and remove the skin.

I will then chop all the vergtables and cube the steak and put everything in a pot and bring to a boil and half the beans... simmer for 2 hours and add the remaining beans.. simmer for another half hour. serve with flambeed peppered vodka for that super-hot effect

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:41 am
cmcadams well done
well done

The best chili I've had recently was made with brisket as the meat, no beans. And if you're using chili powder or ground chilis or cumin, toasting it first adds great flavor.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:09 am
Big D well done
well done

hmmm thanks for the idea...

hmmmm maybe I'll do a chilli with brisket and pulled pork... I will also try toasting the cumin....

also for the no beans.... I am not huge on kidney beans myself, but I think ya need em for chilli (the flavouer aint bad - I dont like the bean texture) and alot of people love em...

I was thinking about this.... I think I might cook the beans in the chilli, but maybe a puch made of butchers net or something and then remove them at the end and place them on the side for those who want them

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:31 am
cmcadams well done
well done

with the beans on the side, it's starting to sound like cincinnati chili! serve it over spaghetti and put cheddar cheese on it, and you're almost there!
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've heard of that Northern chili over noodles. :wink:

We never ate beans in our chili. My dad used to say that biting into a kidney bean was like eating a water bug. I've never liked them much. :lol:

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:53 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

Bob, I'm not partial to them either... my first really good chili was from Goode Company in Houston when I was 14, and I haven't gone back to beans since!
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:52 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Um, I was getting hungry up to the water bug comment--ew. Great thread, and thanks to all for sharing your recipes.

I'm especially glad that Airfoils cleared up where to get the hard to find Texas water and air!! (Heck, even Mexican oregano can be a challenge!)

I think I'm going to have to make chili this weekend now . . .

Info

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:05 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bob- Did your Dad eat many water bugs?
Are they better when brined on the grill?
:wink:

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:14 pm
chagan well done
well done

Wow, the beans topic is almost as fevered as the gas vs. charcoal debate. Oh no....did I...... :wink: Anywho, I found that if you soak them long enough and simmer them in the chili long enough they will be quite tender. I can enjoy chili either way, by my biggest challenge right now is finding some Tomatillos. Green chili next up. Wait one, found some:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-can ... C=standard

Next

Return to General Discussion