Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Man Made Meals

Man Made Meals

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:49 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

I've been looking at SR's new book, "Man Made Meals," for the past week or so and I thought it might be fun to have a post showing recipes from the book we've tried. Hopefully others will contribute, too!

First, I gotta say I absolutely love this book. It's the book I wish my parents would have given me before I moved out. Seriously, my life would have been different if I read it in college. My sons will have a copy. I learned to grill by reading "How to Grill." This book might as well be called "How to Cook." It appears to cover every important aspect of cooking and cooking techniques, and the recipes are great. It seems to cover everything from breakfast to dinner with recipes for everything from vegetable dishes to cocktails. And there are good photos to illustrate techniques that kinda reminded me of being at BBQ U and watching the TV screens to see how certain things are done.

So far I've just picked the recipes based on what food we have on hand. We get a CSA basket each week with different meats and produce from local farmers, so we'll just look for suitable recipes each week and see how it goes.
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:56 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

First up was Spatchcock Chicken with a Curry Mustard Crust. We had a four-pound chicken on hand that was just right for this recipe. Normally we grill them, but this was a good one to do in the oven with some sweet potatoes and cabbage that had to be used somehow. This was the most stuff I've ever cooked in the oven at the same time. Eh eh. The book has a good series of photos showing how to spatchcock a chicken with a nice little twist thrown in at the end.

My wife does not approve of this picture so I made it smaller, but I like it because it shows the whole bird and I always think the spatchcocked chickens or turkeys look cool:
01.JPG
01.JPG (67.75 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

Spatchcocked Chicken w/ Curry Mustard Crust, Cabbage Steaks, and Sweet Potatoes injected with Butter, Maple Syrup, and Bourbon:
02.JPG
02.JPG (90.17 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Next up is some scrambled eggs like I've never done before. The recipe calls for Manchego cheese, but I just used the cheddar we had on hand. Two neat things about this recipe: 1) Adjusting the yolk-white ratio makes the eggs better and even more colorful than these farm eggs usually are. 2) The low and slow cooking technique produces some eggs that have a creamier texture than anything I've made before. I cooked the first batch too hot and fast, and the scrambled eggs looked more like ours normally do. I took my time with the second batch and it really did end up with a texture that was like cream of wheat. Neat! Needed a spoon...

Modernist Scrambled Eggs w/ Cheddar Cheese:
03.JPG
03.JPG (88.66 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

This is kind of cheating, but I noticed the Fire-Eater Wings recipe in the book and this is one that we did at BBQ U last summer. I made them for the boys as soon as we got back home, so this is an older pic. Good stuff!

Fire-Eater Chicken Wings:
04b.JPG
04b.JPG (112.04 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

04.JPG
04.JPG (108.21 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad to see you're getting into the book! This thread has been made a sticky so it'll always be at the top of the page, at least for now!

My first effort was the cider-brined pork chops and I thought they were really good. I used Mike's dry hard cider because it would be less sweet and it really infused some flavor into the meat, and definitely changed the color as well! The final chops look quite red but the instant read thermometer said they were safe...
Image Image Image
And Photoshop Elements 12 is still giving me some trouble...more practice is needed!

From there it was on to Stanley Tucci's pan-braised pork chops (we have a lot of chops in the freezer right now).
Image Image

Man Made Meals has quite a few stovetop and oven recipes because it's designed to encompass more than grilling, and this is one of them. After seasoning the chops with salt (a day in advance, personal choice) and pepper I seared them in the pan.

Then the mushrooms, onion, and garlic are sauteed to form the base for the sauce.
Image Image

Everybody into the pool!
Image Image

Once again, I checked the temp and it was good.

I have to say that this recipe has big flavor and we really liked it. I did substitute capers for the brined green peppercorns the recipe calls for so the sauce had some great tanginess, but since capers grow wild in Italy and they're used by both Lidia Bastianich and Mary Ann Esposito I figured I was culturally safe in doing so. Although it probably cost me a shot to ever be in a Stanley Tucci movie. :lol:

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

WOW!! Looks incredible! Where have I been? I had no idea this book came out! Time for me to add to my Raichlen collection!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:30 am
BaasPro medium
medium

That all looks great. Guess I need to get some pork chops!

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am
sroach well done
well done

I have been reading the book on and off for two weeks now. It's really well done. I have at least 5 people on my list I will be buying a copy for. One of which is my 19 year old son.

I wish I had a book like this when I was starting out, like BaasPro said I learned a lot of my basic (grilling) techniques from HTG. But this book takes it further and shows you all the basics in the kitchen as well.

I have always thought a cooking show done in this manner would do well, a show that taught basics, tips, beginner to advanced recipes, but did more instructional along the way would go over. Reading this book it's almost a perfect format for the book.

if there wasn't 3 mountains of snow between my house and the BGE I would try a couple of the grilling recipes, but I am stuck right now with indoor cooking, for another few days anyway.

I did try the roasted chicken recipe and it turned out great, I did find it is missing what temperature to set the oven, but I made do.

Great book, really looking forward to trying some of the outdoor stuff and getting further in to the techniques sections.

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Wow, folks. Thanks!

I'm flattered and honored! It takes a lot of time and effort to write a book (3 years for Man Made Meals). But it doesn't really come alive until readers read it and use it. I love your comments. Love your photos. And I love the reference to your kids and the next generation because that's where our food future lies.

Hand on my heart to you.

SR

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

Did y'all get an early release of this book? I just looked on Amazon and Barnes and Noble and they say its available for pre-order. That its not out yet.

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:31 pm
BBQ Deputy

It's scheduled for release in just under 4 months...June 14, IIRC.

The Workman folks picked out a few people to act as test drivers. The preproduction copies are a step down in terms of physical quality from their regular books since they're more about the recipes than the photos and paper, but I expect the final version to be in line with the other entries in the Barbecue! Bible series.

One of the odd things is how the footnotes and sidebars aren't complete. Every redirect instructs the reader to go to page 000! :lol:

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Hmmm...a day before my birthday. me thinks I might have to buy myself a present. :lol:

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:17 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

I didn't get a picture worth sharing, but the Braised Rabbit w/ Kalamata Olives was great. I get rabbits from some folks down the road who also happen to make wine. They just won a statewide competition with their blueberry wine, and I used that instead of the suggested red wine. Turned out great! They also make an elderberry wine that I love for cooking and I've used it for slow-cooker rabbit in the past, but I liked this braised version better. Unfortunately, my wife won't eat rabbit, but the rest of us liked it. Perhaps I just shouldn't tell her what it is next time? Eh eh.

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:25 pm
BBQ Deputy

All photos are worth sharing! :lol:

Rabbit is hardly ever mentioned here; you're one of the few who's tried it.

I was doing some more reading last night and came across some photo captions in a language other than English...French, perhaps?

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:32 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
All photos are worth sharing! :lol:

Rabbit is hardly ever mentioned here; you're one of the few who's tried it.

I was doing some more reading last night and came across some photo captions in a language other than English...French, perhaps?

I like grilling rabbit, too. Think I may have posted a picture in the past. I'm surprised it's not more popular!

I haven't seen the photo captions you're referring to yet, but the page 000 thing has thrown me off. I just look forward to having the real book with an index at the end! I've put post-it notes all over the place to mark specific recipes that I'd like to try when I get a chance, because it's hard to find them again otherwise.

Today we made the reuben sandwiches. Good stuff! Definitely suggest making the simple homemade Russian dressing rather than using store-bought options.

Pastrami Reuben:
05.JPG
05.JPG (82.18 KiB) Viewed 2185 times

Next

Return to General Discussion