Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Super Bowl Lechon Asado

Super Bowl Lechon Asado

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:36 pm
mrjohnnyucla medium-rare
medium-rare

Hosted about 30 people for a Super Bowl party yesterday, and decided to make Lechon Asado (cuban roast pork) for the main dish.

Started with a 12lb picnic shoulder and marinated it for two days using the recipe in The Barbecue Bible

Put it on the BGE at 7am at about 250 degrees dome temp.

The pinkish tint is from the wine used in the marinade.

After 5 hours, the temp was up to 150 degrees and I wrapped in in foil. Meanwhile, I needed to make some appetizers.

64 moink balls with a blackberry glaze (only half shown here)

Finally, about 2:30 (7-1/2 hours total cooking time) I pulled off the shoulder at 185 degrees.

Let it rest for about 1/2 hour.

Started pulling it early enough to catch kickoff here on the west coast at 3:30.

Very tasty!

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm not surprised that there were no more pics after the last one. Those moink balls and the pork must have just evaporated off ther plate after that - at least they would have at my house. Nice job, mrjohnnyucla! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice, Johnny! What other dishes did you have alongside the pork and meatballs?

I suspect 30 well-fed people headed home from your house...

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:53 pm
mrjohnnyucla medium-rare
medium-rare

We had Cuban beans and rice and a mojita punch (non-alcoholic) to round out the theme. Of course there was rum for the adults to add to the punch if they didn't want Fat Tire Amber Ale (Go Broncos?)

Then we had the usual pasta salad, potato salad, fruit salad to fill the table. Other appetizers were cheese and crackers, chips and guac, and the Costco artichoke parmesan cheese dip that is really good when heated.

Yes, everyone went home full, if not happy since it was a Bronco leaning crowd. Three TVs to keep everyone happy.

I also do a 40 question quiz as a football pool that keeps everyone's interest in the game. Stuff like who will commit the first penalty, first turnover, longest kickoff return, plus wacky ones like will Bruno Mars take off his hat, and an over/under for duration of the National Anthem. Gives people something to keep track of when the game is a blowout.

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:06 am
sroach well done
well done

Johnny,

I am hopping for an invite next year.. LOL

What are the four bolts on your grill grate for?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:38 pm
mrjohnnyucla medium-rare
medium-rare

sroach wrote:
What are the four bolts on your grill grate for?

It's an XL BGE, so I put in the bolts to make a second grilling level. Really handy when I'm doing lots of moink balls and want them ready at different times. I just bought a cheap grill grate at a BBQ store, plus some bolts and washers.

I also use it if I am doing something big on the main grate and something smaller too.

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:52 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Daaaang! That all looks terrific! Unfortunately, I was away on business for two weeks and had to watch the superbowl on a 13 inch hotel tv with microwaved pizza rolls. :(
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Unfortunately, I was away on business for two weeks and had to watch the superbowl on a 13 inch hotel tv with microwaved pizza rolls. :(
Where were you sent on business...1972? :wink:

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:18 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Pretty much, SC! :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion