Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Superbowl Plans?

Superbowl Plans?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Based on your description some people would really enjoy those poppers! :lol:

If you could sample each jalapeno half before stuffing it'd make it a lot easier to avoid the mean ones.

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 am
BBQ Deputy

Are everyone's menus starting to round into shape? Only a little over 2 days until the game! (Which means the pregame shows should be starting about now. :wink: )

Since there'll be only 3 people at my house I think I'm just going to do some wings. Hopefully the store has 5-pound bags.

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

I'll probably make some snacks and maybe do wings. Most importantly, I won't be leaving the house because I can actually SEE the stadium from my street. I don't even want to imagine what the traffic will be like.

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:36 pm
BBQ Deputy

You live that close and couldn't scare up a ticket?!? :lol:

I just put a single rack of back ribs on the WSM and fired it up with some hardwood briquettes and a good-sized chunk of hickory. I also have 20 wings soaking up some wine & herb brine (1 red, 1 white, 10 in each) and might put a couple of those on as well, although most of them will be grilled direct in the 26" Weber. It's somewhat cold here today but the sun is shining and the wind is pretty low, so it's going to be a good day!

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 am
BaasPro medium
medium

Must have been a crazy scene in your neighborhood tonight, JuliaBBQB! The aerial shots of the stadium while the fireworks were going off at halftime were awesome.

I abandoned the popper plans and couldn't find wings at the last minute, so we had a change of plans. We used the Green Lightning Shrimp recipe to make shrimp tacos with mango salsa. Outstanding combo! Also grilled some delicata squash for the first time and everybody liked it.

ShrimpSquash.JPG
ShrimpSquash.JPG (60.04 KiB) Viewed 617 times

That stuff seemed a little too healthy for the Superbowl, so for dessert... a big bowl of country style ribs. :lol: They were shared with everyone, of course.

Dessert.JPG
Dessert.JPG (63.99 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:36 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Brisket!!!
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice work, guys - I'll bet you had some very happy guests!

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm
BBQ Deputy

I wound up grilling some wings and smoking a rack of back ribs, which was more than enough for the 2 of us.

I split the wings into 2 groups of 10. The first group was brined in white wine (sauvignon blanc) and a seafood herb blend with dill, and the second group got red wine (cabernet sauvignon) and soup herbs that featured rosemary and thyme.
Image Image

The ribs were pretty simple, with a rub of paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard, and celery seed. I've found that while I hate celery itself I really like the flavor of a little seed in a rib rub.
Image Image

Super Bowl Sunday was nice and sunny.
Image Image

I put 4 wings in the WSM so they would get hickory-smoked with the ribs while I grilled the remaining 16 over a medium-low direct fire.
Image Image

We ate before the game because Mrs. Chicken had to work, and I really didn't have anything during the game. The smoked wings were in the smoker a little too long and got a little dry but the ribs were fine, and the grilled wings had crisp skin and moist meat despite not having much actual flavor from the brines. I'd hoped they would turn out better (the white wine brine with the dill was quite aromatic) but at least they had salt and moisture. And because I have a lot of apple I hadn't used hickory for a long time and it was a nice change of pace.

Fortunately we had plenty of both left over for a couple of lunches!

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Not BBQ or grilling but I sous vide a bunch of chicken leg quarters with fresh sage, thyme, butter, salt and pepper. Pretty amazing I must say. Also I predicted Seahawks win 28-24. Guess I was a little off on that.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 am
BBQ Deputy

How did the skin turn out? Did you do anything extra to crisp it?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

The skin thing I am still working on. I heat up a pan nice and hit to crisp up the skin but the skin seems to stick to the pan more than anything else. It is a work in progress I would say but really happy with it. This weekend is a 3lb tri-tip roast sous vide.

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Seattle-Q wrote:
The skin thing I am still working on. I heat up a pan nice and hit to crisp up the skin but the skin seems to stick to the pan more than anything else. It is a work in progress I would say but really happy with it. This weekend is a 3lb tri-tip roast sous vide.

I've tried sous vide a few times now and it's kind of cool, but I always finish up the meat with a blast in the saute pan or on the grill. But with chicken skin I have had the same problem. The only time it hasn't stuck to something is if I use a bit of oil in a non-stick heavy saute pan, or if I oil the grates of my sear burner (or oil the food before griling). This might work for you too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion