Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot dogs coast to coast

Hot dogs coast to coast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

BC - you are da hot dawg MAN! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:04 pm
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Woo Doggie! That looks good!!

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:09 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
Either that, or the Secret Staduim sauce may be something they make themselves. Having worked in catering and having managed a few concessions, I'd suspect that it's some kind of commercial brand simply because that's usually easier to source and to keep in stock and it stores longer.
It's a commercially-made product sold under the SportService label, but the recipe is definitely specific and there's actually a pretty good story behind it.

Cactus, there are a number of Woodman's stores in Wisconsin and even a few in Illinois (Rockford for sure). Look them up online and maybe you can find one closer than Kenosha.

That's an interesting observation about the Hoffy trucks you saw. The name is owned by Square-H Brands and sure looks to be CA-based, so maybe they were dropping off instead of picking up?

Dunno ... Why would a California hot dog maker be bringing product to Wisconsin? Lot of territory in between that the probably don't distribute to, at least not under Hoffy label.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:50 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

We might have to be reviving this thread ... Perusing one of, not Steve's, books and finding all kinds of hot dog and sausage things that look interesting. Stay tuned ...
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:41 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds good! Maybe you and Beercuer should divvy up the recipes...

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:40 pm

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I'm thinking about slitting a hot dog lengthwise, filling it with cream cheese, wrapping it with bacon, and grilling it until hot all the way through and the bacon's fairly well-cooked. I think it might require a large hot dog and a mix of indirect and direct grilling.

I grew up on something similar to this - but different. My mother would take a "Kahn's" hot dog (advertised as "The Weiner the World Awaited!"), split it lengthwise all the way through except the ends, insert two hunks of "Cracker Barrel" Sharp cheddar cheese, wrap with bacon, pin with toothpicks and broil. She would turn the dogs over just once and pull them out when the bacon was crisp, the cheese melty-soft, and the dog done just right! Didn't need ANY condiments, it was just plain delicious!!!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:22 pm
BBQ Deputy

Those do sound good! It's tough to go wrong with sharp cheddar...

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:
I'm thinking about slitting a hot dog lengthwise, filling it with cream cheese, wrapping it with bacon, and grilling it until hot all the way through and the bacon's fairly well-cooked. I think it might require a large hot dog and a mix of indirect and direct grilling.

I grew up on something similar to this - but different. My mother would take a "Kahn's" hot dog (advertised as "The Weiner the World Awaited!"), split it lengthwise all the way through except the ends, insert two hunks of "Cracker Barrel" Sharp cheddar cheese, wrap with bacon, pin with toothpicks and broil. She would turn the dogs over just once and pull them out when the bacon was crisp, the cheese melty-soft, and the dog done just right! Didn't need ANY condiments, it was just plain delicious!!!

Don't remember if we used Kahn's, that was a long time ago, but we'd make 300 or 400 of these for "Stag Night" when I was in high school.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm
JPET rare
rare

Where in LA, CA can you get the Hoffy bacon dogs?

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 am
BBQ Deputy

You can ask Hoffy via this link. Good luck!

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 pm
JPET rare
rare

I was hoping for a reply from beercuer.

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

JPET wrote:
Where in LA, CA can you get the Hoffy bacon dogs?

Sorry, JPET... I have not been around for a while. The best place for you to get the Hoffy dogs is your local "Smart & Final" store. :bbq: :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:10 am
JPET rare
rare

Thanks, I did find them and other Hoffy products there.

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Most welcome, JPET. :D I sure do enjoy the Hoffy bacon as well.
Got beer???

Previous

Return to General Discussion