Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI)

Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Located just south of McFarland on US-51, Patrick's Grill is in the building that used to be Beck's...in fact, Patrick was a bartender there and bought the business. And before it was Beck's it was a few other things; it's been there for as long as I can remember, and that's almost 24 years now.

It's not very big inside. I sat at the table kittycorner from the bar, and there were a couple of other tables to my right.

When Patrick was preparing to open he had a sign that mentioned barbecue, so I was keeping a visit in the back of my mind. And one day when I drove by and saw these outside I knew I'd be stopping eventually.

Patrick's isn't a "full service" barbecue place; while he'll roast a pig on request all that's on the regular menu is shredded beef brisket (left) and pulled pork (right). And this is only on the weekends, as he does his smoking on Fridays and then sells it until it's gone.
Even though this is all he offers for barbecue (the bar has a flattop and fryer so burgers and other items are on the menu), he does a good job. Both sandwiches had smoky, meaty flavor and the toasted buns were a nice addition, and his homemade barbecue sauce is outstanding. It's only slightly sweet with a mild pepper kick, and while he didn't reveal all his ingredients he did say that he uses cranberry as a Wisconsin touch; did you know that Wisconsin leads the USA in cranberry production?

The other signature item is what Patrick calls the "hog dog", which is a Klement's Chicago Style hot dog wrapped in bacon and deep-fried. And despite what first thoughts might be it's not at all greasy, and the frying really brings out the flavor of the dog.

And to top it off, 2 sandwiches, a hot dog, and a couple of sodas came to the whopping total of $14. Can't beat that with a stick! :wink:

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 am
Trollby well done
well done

You forgot to give me a call ;)

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry about that! :wink:

Any Saturday you and/or Andy feel like making the drive down I'd be happy to meet you for lunch!

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 pm
Andy medium
medium

Since I am at work on most Saturdays, it would be tough to arrange, but it sounds delicious!
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Return to Best BBQ Joint