Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Remote Probe Thermometer

Remote Probe Thermometer

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am
smoke-stack medium
medium

Hello friends,
Sorry to start another thermometer thread, but I did do a search of the boards and found most of the info that was out there was a few years old, so I am hoping to get a more current/up to date discussion going.

I need a remote probe thermometer, one that will allow me monitor the temps of the meat, in addition to the grill temps.

What are you all using?

Can’t believe I have waiting this long to invest in one of these! Will be nice to sit in the house and get a warning when I need to attend to the smoker, rather than run out there every 15 minutes!
Thank you!

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am
BaasPro medium
medium

smoke-stack wrote:
Hello friends,
Sorry to start another thermometer thread, but I did do a search of the boards and found most of the info that was out there was a few years old, so I am hoping to get a more current/up to date discussion going.

I need a remote probe thermometer, one that will allow me monitor the temps of the meat, in addition to the grill temps.

What are you all using?

Can’t believe I have waiting this long to invest in one of these! Will be nice to sit in the house and get a warning when I need to attend to the smoker, rather than run out there every 15 minutes!
Thank you!

I use the iGrill, and I love it. One ambient probe, one meat probe, and an iPhone/iPad interface. I just lit the charcoal and I'm about to throw a turkey on. It's cold out there. It's snowing. I'll be inside monitoring the temps...
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:49 am
smoke-stack medium
medium

BaasPro wrote:
I use the iGrill, and I love it. One ambient probe, one meat probe, and an iPhone/iPad interface. I just lit the charcoal and I'm about to throw a turkey on. It's cold out there. It's snowing. I'll be inside monitoring the temps...

I will check that out, thank you! Anyone else want to chime in?
Or are you all too busy smoking your turkey for Thursday! :silly:

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am
jstewart well done
well done

The Maverick ET-732 is also a good choice. It has a pretty good distance and works well. It has two probes, one for the smoker and one for the meat.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:52 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with jstewart on the Maverick. I have two of them and they're excellent.

However.... since I finally got an iPad through work, I'm keeping my eye out for an iGrill. After checking out their site it looks like a really amazing tool.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:38 pm
jstewart well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
I agree with jstewart on the Maverick. I have two of them and they're excellent.

However.... since I finally got an iPad through work, I'm keeping my eye out for an iGrill. After checking out their site it looks like a really amazing tool.

To be honest, I've had my eye on the iGrill for quite some time....next time I need to replace one of my remotes, it may be what I choose...
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:02 pm
smoke-stack medium
medium

Yeah that iGrill looks pretty sweet!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

I've tried a few Mavericks and a few knock offs. For me they never worked (for some reason they were either DOA on purchase or couldn't work beyond 10' or so which defeated the purpose). The only remotes thatve worked for me are the probes connected to my CyberQ WiFi.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:58 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I tried a few knock-offs but they were all crap the Mavericks are great and work for a very long time.

I hate iProducts since had nothing but issues with them, so I am not going to buy iPod or iPhone so iGrill is no go for me

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My current remote thermometer is an Accu-Rite and it's been working fine for 6 years. The thing has a range of at least 80' (I haven't tried it further).

I recall checking once, and apparently it's a rebranded Maverick ET-73, though. So if you can't find a Maverick maybe you can find an Accu-Rite.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion