Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Prime Rib

Grilled Prime Rib

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:08 pm
Texas Giant

I have used your recipe for grilled prime rib w/garlic & rosemary many times for Christmas with great success. This year, however; I have been asked to make it for my In-Laws whom do not have the appropriate equipment to prepare it at their home. I am going to fix it along with the one for my parents on Sun. the 21st but will not be serving it until Thur. the 25th. Would it be best to grill it completely, freeze it and then simpley rewarm it or partially grill it, freeze it and then finish it on their gas grill the day it will be served?

Thanks & Happy Holidays

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:07 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If they have a grill what more equipment do you need??

I cannot speak for the prime rib as I'm doing my first this weekend. (any advise you can pass on in the Holiday Feast Thread would be appreciated).
However myself and others try to limit the ammount of time that meat is frozen, some won't have anything to do with frozen meat. I wouldn't cook and freeze meat, I'm afraid the texture and flavor would suffer.

Partial cooking and then refrigeration may be ok, but I'd prefer and find a way to do it all in one shot.

where there's a will there's a way.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:39 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Well I think that everyone knows my thoughts on frozen meats - and I would certainly not freeze it after it was cooked. I they do not have a grill I would consider cooking in the oven rather than cooking ahead of time and then freezing.

Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:59 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I have to weigh in on this one also. You mentioned they have a gas grill. Go earlier and prepare the meal like you would at your house. Nothing beats the flavor of fresh off the grill. Freezing, while it serves a purpose at times, loses some of the best flavor and juices.

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:12 am
chagan well done
well done

I agree with all previous posts on this one. It sounds as if you are perhaps a bit of a newbie on cooking on the gas grill. This may be an incorrect impression on your post, however, with a little knowledge on the gas grill characteristics, quite good results can be had. ( in fact many people prefer cooking on a gas grill) Look into perhapse using a foil pouch or smoker box, if you have one, to get that smoke flavor you like. I believe that any results cooked on the gas grill will have far superior results than cooking or partially cooking and then freezing. As a second choice- doing it entirely in the oven will still have a much better outocme than partially freezing a partially done roduct.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:16 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

My vote is using the in-laws grill. The wife gets to visit with her folks...so she'll be happy. And the gas is free!!! The best of both worlds.

Return to General Discussion