Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Backyard natural gas line

Backyard natural gas line

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 pm
CaCook medium-well
medium-well

Hey guys I am at this house now that has a pipe sticking out of the stucco in the backyard and it has a cap on it.

I would like to hook up either a fire pit or a natural gas grill to it.

Is it as simple as shutting off the main valve and using a pipe wrench to hold the pipe remove the cap, and install my new gas appliance fitting to it. Use pipe dope, spray bottle soap and check for leaks?

I have done water plumbing not gas, so the iron pipes are a little new to me..

As far as tools, I just need a pipe wrench and a proper wrench for the cap, right?
Char Griller Duo
Sojoe fire pit
Large BGE

I like to cook and BBQ

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 am
Trollby well done
well done

Not sure in your location but some areas require a cutoff valve outside too, not just inside.

Also depending on location you may need fire protection on the building in the area of the line.

I would check local code to be sure of rules.

But yes running gas line is easy with black pipe, easier than copper soldering.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A weather-resistant valve between the grill/firepit and the building would be a good idea, even if it's not required by code. If something does go wrong the extra time it takes to get to the inside valve might make a big difference, and not in a good way.

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CaCook wrote:
Hey guys I am at this house now that has a pipe sticking out of the stucco in the backyard and it has a cap on it.

I would like to hook up either a fire pit or a natural gas grill to it.

Is it as simple as shutting off the main valve and using a pipe wrench to hold the pipe remove the cap, and install my new gas appliance fitting to it. Use pipe dope, spray bottle soap and check for leaks?

I have done water plumbing not gas, so the iron pipes are a little new to me..

As far as tools, I just need a pipe wrench and a proper wrench for the cap, right?

Gas line work isn't DIY work by any stretch of the imagination. You need to hire a professional here. There's still a crater in one of my neighbor's backyard that attests to this fact.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion