Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spending that extra hour at the fire?

Spending that extra hour at the fire?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

"Spring ahead, fall back." Anybody doing any overnight cooks this weekend, especially Saturday into Sunday? Or any Sunday supper grilling? Those first couple of days when it's dark so early always throw me off a little, especially when setting up for evening cooking.

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:29 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

Im sure Im grillin something Saturday and Sunday but not sure yet. That prok tenderloin post you posted has me leaning towards those. I have a screened porch with a light so the darkness doesn't bother me too much, but it does mess with my internal clock.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

jstewart well done
well done

I've been working so much lately, I think I'll take that extra hour of sleep :wink: I will take the opportunity to throw a tri-tip on the Weber kettle on Sunday as my younger son has some friends visiting.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Sunday is my birthday, so I'm kinda hoping my brother will grill up some chops or something. :cheers: :bbq:
Got beer???

BubbaQue well done
well done

Just left Sam's. Got flank steak and pork tenderloins. Today the flanks tomorrow the tenderloins.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
Im sure Im grillin something Saturday and Sunday but not sure yet. That prok tenderloin post you posted has me leaning towards those. I have a screened porch with a light so the darkness doesn't bother me too much, but it does mess with my internal clock.

I've got an enclosed porch, and I'd love to move the grill into it. I'm concerned about having it too close to the walls and setting it on fire, though. I'd also like to move the smoker onto it, and since there's already a fireplace there it might work if I can tie the exhaust into the chimney. But that's a fair bit of work.

And boy oh boy could I use some cover, too! The weather forecast is calling for 10 to 20 cm of snow this weekend (4 to 8 inches), and it's been falling lightly for the past 4 hours already. Here's hoping I get to grill, period. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

BBQ Deputy

Happy birthday, BC! I hope the Chargers can deliver a nice present for you!

CG, I'm ready for that kind of weather around here. My least favorite part of the year is the late fall transition into winter, when everything's usually damp, chilly, and gray. Skip that and get straight to the white stuff!

I didn't sleep in as I woke up after my usual 7 or so hours, so I was up an hour early. Mrs. Chicken worked an overnight shift at Kohl's so I have to be fairly quiet until she wakes up...fortunately rib tips don't make too much noise!

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Happy birthday, BC! I hope the Chargers can deliver a nice present for you!

Most kind of you for the well wishes, Brad-- Thank you! :D

At least the Chargers gave me some good moments. I was quite amused that after all the blocked kicks and passes, the sportscaster called it a "block party."-- made me think of the forum here.

My brother kindly grilled me a pork chop after all. Served with corn on the cob and applesauce. I dipped the chop in Beaver brand extra hot horseradish. That was exceptional. Had a wonderful strawberry shortcake for dessert. Pics...

Got beer???

BubbaQue well done
well done

UMMMMMMMM
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
WSM

Post Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:31 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice-looking chop! :thumbup: I'm sorry that the Chargers didn't pull it out but at least you didn't go hungry!

I grilled last night and as usual it took a little time to get used to the early darkness. During the summer months I'm rarely cooking after dark because it comes so much later in the evening, so it's always a bit of a change. And it won't be long before I have to watch for the icy patches on the driveway!

Cactus1 well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Sunday is my birthday, so I'm kinda hoping my brother will grill up some chops or something. :cheers: :bbq:

Gad to hear that you had a Happy Birthday and left the cooking to someone else. Chop looks great!
I did two whole pork loins for Sunday Family Dinner and a batch of Redeye Barbecue Sauce, from Barbecue USA, to go with them. Took a chance an bought some fresh sweet corn - not sure where sweet corn is coming from this time of the year, but it was good. Wife made her home made potato salad and cole slaw + a cream puff cake for dessert. Nice late Fall dinner.
Thought I had the picture thing figured out but ran into problems with sizing them to post.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

SC-- I so hear you about the early darkness. And the weather here is getting cool enough to snuggle up close to the pit. I've slipped a few times in the past on ice patches, and the landing has always been a particularly hard one. It's tough for me to say goodbye to DST.

Cactus1 wrote:
Gad to hear that you had a Happy Birthday and left the cooking to someone else. Chop looks great!
I did two whole pork loins for Sunday Family Dinner and a batch of Redeye Barbecue Sauce, from Barbecue USA, to go with them. Took a chance an bought some fresh sweet corn - not sure where sweet corn is coming from this time of the year, but it was good. Wife made her home made potato salad and cole slaw + a cream puff cake for dessert. Nice late Fall dinner.
Thought I had the picture thing figured out but ran into problems with sizing them to post.

And thank you, Cactus! :D

I see that we are quite like-minded. Funny thing about me is that for the corn I can find around here at any given time, I prefer the frozen sweet yellow to any of the fresh varieties. You remind me that I am due to make another batch of tater salad.

You may be interested in a freeware called "Irfanview"-- a fantastically user friendly graphics viewer and basic editor that can resize your photos to any size you want. You can even have big pics with a rather small file size in KB. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
CG, I'm ready for that kind of weather around here. My least favorite part of the year is the late fall transition into winter, when everything's usually damp, chilly, and gray. Skip that and get straight to the white stuff!

Yeah - we did.

I would have preferred damp, chilly and gray myself. Lots of snow-covered patio furniture and lawnmowers in my neck of the woods now. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

The change over in time does an alteration in me as well.
That's why one day I'm moving to Arizona, the only state that
that does not change it's time twice a year.

Hawaii doesn't as well......

BBQ Deputy

Indiana used to be a "same time all the time" state until a couple of years ago; now it's always EST or EDT.

Plus if you move to Arizona you're that much closer to New Mexico and its green chile cheeseburgers! :wink:

Next

Return to General Discussion