Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Madison, WI Farmer's Market

Madison, WI Farmer's Market

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Kind of spur of the moment but went up to the Madison Farmer's Market last Saturday. Wife looked at me like I was half crazy when I suggested we go but she was a real trooper when I set the alarm for 4:30 Saturday morning and we were out of the house by 5:15. Didn't buy a large quantity of anything but did stock up on veggies for the week - carrots, potatoes, beets, turnips, radishes, cabbage, onions, a few types of squash, and some concord grapes. Forget the name of the vendor and didn't think to get a flyer or card but some of the best scones I've ever had - made with oatmeal and loaded with fresh berries. May have to drive up again when it moves indoors just for scones. Just a nice Fall morning to wander around the capital building and watch people.
Meandered our way out of Madison on US 12/18 with vague intentions of heading for Milwaukee. Found a place in Ft. Atkinson called Jones Dairy. Wife was hoping for fresh right off the farm cream. Not to much in dairy but the place was smoked pork heaven. Ended up with a ham, ham steaks, Canadian bacon, and a 15 lb. box of thick sliced bacon.
Still heading southeast when wife started to play with the GPS and mentioned maybe going up toward Cedarburg.
Shop up there she likes, Weeds, for tea and flaked sea salt for her salted caramel ice cream. What the heck, it's only 75 miles in the opposite direction for 3 oz. of flaked sea salt and a spinach salad at the old mill.
Obligatory stop at Woodman's in Kenosha for some miscellaneous groceries finally getting home around quarter of nine Saturday night.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad you finally made it up this way! I'm not sure how much longer the DCFM will be outside before it moves into its winter quarters. Did you have lunch anywhere in Madison or were you back on the road before then?

You can do a vendor search here. Was there much in the way of artisanal meats?

Jones' products can be found in a lot of the grocery stores around here. I think you'll like what you bought!

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:43 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Had really planned to go this coming Saturday but decided kind of late Friday night to go last week. Was going to see if you or anyone else wanted to hook up if I came this week.
I'm not the most observant person some times. I scanned the vendor list but still couldn't tell you the name of the vendor that I got the scones from but I'll know them if I see them again.
No lunch. We had breakfast on the way up - gotta feed a woman if you drag her out of bed at 4:30 in the morning to drive almost 200 miles to go to a farmer's market + I munched on one of my scones. Know you've written about a number of barbecue places up that way and suprisingly the closest Quaker Steak & Lube to us is the one in Middleton and I really like their wings.
Think the next time we come, I'm going to plan to leave Friday when the wife gets off work and spend the night. She's in Naperville and that's a 45 minute head start over leaving from the house.
There were a number of artisinal meat vendors. Really didn't pay them to much attention. My freezer space is limited right now + one of oldest step-son's friends has land somewhere up toward the Dells and I got chicken and beef from him when he came down last week + he said he's going to have some pork when he comes a week or so before Thanksgiving.
Haven't tried any of the Jones pork yet. I split out and vacuum packed the bacon and gave step-son about half of it. Going to do breakfast for dinner tonight and use some of the Canadian bacon.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:33 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I love a good Farmer's Market - not only because they're fun but because I also make pens and seel them at one.

The market I go to both as a vendor and a customer is this one:
http://stalbertfarmersmarket.com/

Apparently it's now the biggest market in Western Canada, with 250+ vendors. It's also the highest-rated farmer's market in all of Canada as well (though I can't currently find that link). I was also going to post a link showing off my booth and such, but the newspaper seems to have archived it and I lost that link too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:43 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I've always liked a good farmer's market. Grew up going to the one in Hartville, OH when it was primarily an Amish market. My Dad still goes a couple times a month. Back in the '80's when I lived near Niagara Falls and then moved to Toledo, we'd hit the southern Ontario markets. Probably did over half of our shopping at the Windsor markets while in Toledo. Most communities in the Chicago area have farmer's markets in the late Spring until right about now, but there's very little actual produce grown in Illinois - most of it comes from Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin. Many have gone to the "French market" concept with artisinal bakeries and specialty meats but most of these markets are during the week and run from 6 or 7 A.M. to 2 or 3 P.M.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion