Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Let's talk turkey...

Let's talk turkey...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:15 pm
sroach well done
well done

This year the bird is getting cooked on the egg. so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I will brine before smoking. But what kind of wood to smoke with, I heard the lighter woods like cherry or apple is a nice taste for turkey, any thoughts on that one would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by sroach on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I use apple and cherry. I love the color the cherry gives. I also throw Fresh apples onto the coals. Gives a great aroma outside, I'm not sure if it imparts flavor into the turkey. I personally keep the smoke light. I'm not looking for a smoke ring on my turkey. It still gets a small pink tint. Drip pan under the turkey. Spray with apple juice during the cook. Keep the drippings for gravy. MMMMM is it T-Day yet???

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If there's room for a drip pan it can be filled with stock and the other ingredients for gravy (I like to add the traditional mirepoix of celery, carrot, and onion) and when the turkey's done all that's necessary is to strain, thicken, and season.

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Thanksgiving is our family holiday to host. Haven't even thought about the turkey yet. Apple and cherry are both good for a bird. I also like maple.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:46 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My mix for turkey is normally one of the following, in order of preference (and availability):
60% apple, 30% maple, 10% alder
60% apple, 30% maple, 10% dried corncob
33% apple, 33% cherry, 33% maple
33% apple, 33% cherry, 33% hickory (for when I run out of maple) :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

I usually cook two turkeys, one traditional oven roasted (brined) and one either in the oil less fryer (injected) or on the rotisserie (injected) with hickory. This year Im going to use hickory and pecan it's whats available here in the south. I have a bag of pecans I have been shelling and saving the shells. I have recenty thrown them on lit coals when grilling steaks or burgers. Adds a slight smoky taste.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Great subject, a friend of mine who is new to smoking and I were talking turkey just last night. He is smoking a 20# turkey and is talking about injecting the bird with apple juice and some spices which I cant quite picture apple juice and turkey going together well. He is planning to smoke with probably either cherry or hickory. I suggested brining overnight instead of injecting and emailed him a couple newsletters from smoking meat forum that talked about turkeys.

For smoking since he is convinced to inject his turkey what type of injection would you suggest to use for a 20# turkey?
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:29 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I have used an apple juice brine before. It is good. It is not straight apple juice though.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:46 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Since you said the bird will be egged, I'd google the Mad Max Turkey method. It should give you some ideas. :mrgreen:
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:44 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks guys, I am thinking I will brine over night then use Apple or Cherry. I did find the mad max method, it's a good read.

Return to General Discussion