Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Naming your grills

Naming your grills

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've thought about naming my grills but I could never come up with anything I liked. So currently they're just named after the model of the grill. I call them "Outlaw", "Gasser", "Smokey Joe", "Toolbox" and "BioLite Campstove Grill". Not very original, I know. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
I've thought about naming my grills but I could never come up with anything I liked. So currently they're just named after the model of the grill. I call them "Outlaw", "Gasser", "Smokey Joe", "Toolbox" and "BioLite Campstove Grill". Not very original, I know. :D

I like those names though, they seem to fit.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:36 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Mini and Large. I know, I'm not very creative.

Fat Man and Little Boy?

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Okay, I'll bite.

I have a CharGriller SuperPro with the offset fire box. When I first got it, I showed it to a friend of mine. He admired it and said it looked like a "choo-choo train!" I thought no kidding, he was right, especially with the smoke pouring out the top vent. Thereafter, it became known as "The Choo-Choo Train" or "Choo-Choo."
Got beer???

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:06 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Okay, I'll bite.

I have a CharGriller SuperPro with the offset fire box. When I first got it, I showed it to a friend of mine. He admired it and said it looked like a "choo-choo train!" I thought no kidding, he was right, especially with the smoke pouring out the top vent. Thereafter, it became known as "The Choo-Choo Train" or "Choo-Choo."

Thats a cool name
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:26 am
sroach well done
well done

My wife will always say Steve is over by "Big Green" or he is in his "Happy Place" so I guess one of those could be a name. LOL

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 am
jhumpert well done
well done

sroach wrote:
My wife will always say Steve is over by "Big Green" or he is in his "Happy Place" so I guess one of those could be a name. LOL

Nice setup
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:47 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Jeff,

Pretty happy with the end result.

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:08 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I own my CharGriller with sidebox for about 16 years now.

I call it APAININTHEASS for the poor design, causing heat and smoke loss due to the
the enormous gaps throughout. I know, it cost only $110 when I bought it,
and I have modified it a bit on a permanent basis, and during a cook,
but the name remains.

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:14 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Well guys and gals, I now have a new grill that has yet to be named. After 3 years of charcoal/stick burning and burned food I have moved up to the next level... I am now a pellethead. I pulled the trigger and bought me a brand new Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie. I had been talking to the wife about going on vacation next year and because her health hasn't been the greatest lately I told her I wanted a backup plan in case she was not ready to fly by next year so my Plan B was a new pellet grill.

After doing research on the various grills I had decided on the Rec Tec grill which I had a $1000.00 limit and by the time you included 200.00 shipping, GrillGrates, Covers, and other accessories my 1000 budget was blown out of the water. My second choice had been the GMG grills Jim Bowie because if I ever want to possibly get to the point of doing some competitions I needed a big enough grill to have room to cook on so it is go big or go home. I started looking at the Jim Bowies again and with the amount of money I had already saved up for vacation if I economized the vacation and settled on Gatlinburg instead of Florida which would not have to put the wife on a flight readiness path then I could afford the grill now. With the GMG grills they have distributors near me so I can pick the grill up and not have shipping costs. I called a couple dealers and I found one who sold under the retail price (Not unless this is the new cost which I heard starts Aug 1) so I got the grill. June 28 I headed south towards the Ohio river and picked up my new baby in the rain. Between the grill, my cover, grill grates I am just under my 1000.00 budget. Anybody near my area if you are interested in a Green Mountain Grill send me a message and I will give you the distributor where I got mine, he sells under the retail price. I have heard on another forum that GMG is lowering the prices some and have green lighted the dealers to sell at the new price so he may be selling at that price because the dealer have been told the new prices already as well as about a new WiFi controller coming August 1.

So far I have done ribs twice, Cupcakes, Bacon cheeseburgers including the bacon, Chicken breast, Chicken drumstick lollipops, Pulled pork, did a GrillGrate/flame diffuser modification and cooked steaks on the GrillGrates with awesome diamond pattern grill marks, and I am planning on doing prime rib this weekend. I am amazed at the ability to be able to bake with this grill as well.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jeff, it sounds like you jumped right in with both feet! Have you cooked every meal on the GMG since you brought it home? :wink:

Since Jim Bowie was a Kentucky native you could name it "Blue", as in "Bluegrass State".

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Brad, No I havent cooked every meal on it but quite a few. 4th July weekend was planning on cooking a lot and the wife ended up in the hospital so the grill stayed covered all weekend. I did get to do the pulled pork and I forgot smoked mac and cheese on the 4th then after she got out of the hospital on Monday I did the chicken leg lollipops using Chef Paul Prudhomme chicken seasoning then cooked in a pan of melted butter on 300 until the legs hit 165 then I glazed in sauce and cooked another 30 minutes.

This weekend I did babyback ribs using the 3-2-15 method and the ribs literally fell off the bone as I took them out of the foil so I need to figure out timing so I dont keep doing fall off the bone like that. I am looking forward to trying prime rib this weekend and planning on around 1 hour at 225 to get some smoke then the rest on around 290 or so until it hits 140 or so internal before resting it.

I like the idea of "Blue" that could be a good possibility or also thought maybe "Bowie"
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Previous

Return to General Discussion