Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Green Lightning Shrimp

Green Lightning Shrimp

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 am
Griffin well done
well done

Decided to go healthy last night and when we decide to do that, seafood usually ends up on the menu. The Mrs. and I both agreed on Mr. Raichlen's Green Lightning Shrimp since its been awhile. Got the Egg going around 425ish and threw on the butter/cilantro/garlic to melt.

Then we tossed some squash and zuke planks on. When they were done, they got wrapped in aluminum foil to keep them warm while the shrimp cooked.

Tossed the shrimp with the marinade in a grill basket along with some bread.

Shrimp just took a few minutes.

Drizzle on the butter, squeeze some lime on it and plate it up

This time it actually had some heat. Don't know if the jalapenos were hotter, or that I left the seeds and membranes in from one of them (4 total) or that I subbed some of the evoo for this stuff that my brother picked up for me in Salado. Either way, it had some kick. Good stuff.

Still not quite sure what to do with the olive oil. The stuff really had kick by itself. Not sure what to cook with it.

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've never seen an oil like that - looks interesting! I'll bet it'd work well in partial quantities...say, 1/2t + 1-1/2t regular oil when the recipe calls for 2t. Have you drizzled it on bread and tried it that way yet?

Is this the first time you've grilled GLS in the basket? I don't think I've ever seen them on anything other than skewers.

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:29 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I've never seen an oil like that - looks interesting! I'll bet it'd work well in partial quantities...say, 1/2t + 1-1/2t regular oil when the recipe calls for 2t. Have you drizzled it on bread and tried it that way yet?

I tried some of this stuff on bread at my foodie cousin's house this summer. It had a good taste and a bit of a kick, but not as much as I was expecting. Mind you, your results will vary as I have a very high heat tolerance.

This recipe gives me an idea. The Jamaican guy beside me at the summer market where I sell my pens gave me a bottle of something he called "green sauce". The stuff is part jalapeno and part "special green chili" that he wasn't giving the name of. (I guessed correctly later that this was green Thai birds-eye peppers.)

It's not as hot as his habanero or ghost pepper sauce but it still has a lot of heat. I think it would work well with this recipe.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:22 pm
Griffin well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Is this the first time you've grilled GLS in the basket? I don't think I've ever seen them on anything other than skewers.

I've done them in a grill basket before. Actually, I've never done them on skewers. Maybe cuz I have a bit of laziness in me. Just didn't feel like taking those extra few minutes to stick 'em.

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

I've done them in a grill basket before. Actually, I've never done them on skewers. Maybe cuz I have a bit of laziness in me. Just didn't feel like taking those extra few minutes to stick 'em.

I agree with Griffin, guess I'm lazy to, I never skewer shrimp. Haven't done any shrimp for a while and have never done the Green Lightning Shrimp - might have to put them on Sunday Family Dinner's menu as a munchie.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion