Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion October's Online Block Party - Wings and Other Appetizers!

October's Online Block Party - Wings and Other Appetizers!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Here are the moink ball results. I made them all the same. SPICY! Everybody went back for seconds until they were gone. I ended up doing a 2/3 sausage and 1/3 beef. Pics of round 1. I didn't get any after that or from the party

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those look great - I can see why they were popular! :thumbup:

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Those look great - I can see why they were popular! :thumbup:

Same here - and I understand why there were no extra pics either. You must have been very busy after round 1. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm finishing up the month with some Things on Sticks. First up are Pork and Mushroom Skewers from Weber's Real Grilling, and while they're listed as an entree they certainly could be made as appetizers.

The recipe calls for tenderloin but I used some loin chops as I already had them on hand.
Image Image

The real trick is skewering the mushrooms without having them split. And since the pieces are small they took less time to cook than they did to assemble.

The final component is a sauce made with basil and olive oil, and it really adds a lot to the pork and the mushrooms. A lot of times I stick to the main dish and skip the accessories for time/convenience/expense reasons but in this case it was worth the extra step.

I found a package of what I remember as being sirloin tip steaks in the grocery store clearance cooler so they needed to be used.

After paging through a few books I finally settled on The Best Beef Sates in Singapore from [b]Planet Barbecue[/i] because I had the ingredients on hand. In case you haven't guessed by the color, turmeric is one of the main ones.

I grilled them more on one side than the other and decided that the sates were better when they had a nice bit of char. When they were cooked less they could be a little grainy from the marinade and that felt a little odd. Also, the original recipe calls for ribeye and the extra fat would really offset the texture of the marinade while adding extra flavor and richness at the same time.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, everyone! All the entries looked great.

November's Online Block party is going to be pizza and other breads on the grill, so let's keep things going! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion