Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Knives for BBQ

Knives for BBQ

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Guess Mr. Linn did not have a web site when I bought my knife. Did some looking this morning and here is the link to the one I have -
http://www.appalachianbowsaw.com
Noticed on his site that he makes no reference to slicing meats but part of the demo that he had set up included meats - think he had a piece of ham and a salami to slice. I have used mine as a meat slicer and it works great.

And now I know why it's so tough to sharpen, too. A flat blade is easy but I've found that scalloped blades like this one are tough to get right. Nice blades, too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 pm
bbquy well done
well done

Thanks for the info! I am hoping to get a Weber Ranch some day if I can find a good price. :D
currently: Jenn-Air 48,000 btu gasser, CG-Outlaw w/sfb, (2)Weber 22" Performer Gold, Weber Q

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:14 pm
Mutt medium-rare
medium-rare

I have a full set of the higher end Calphalon knives and really love them. They sharpen easy and stay razor sharp for a long time to come.

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I tinkered with a few inexpensive knives for years, but when my niece was selling CUTCO cutlery I had to help her out, and BOY OH BOY am I glad that I did!!! The best quality knives that I've ever seen or used. I must admit that I shelled out almost $1200 for the complete "Homemaker plus 8[steak knives]" set. But I have honestly used EVERY knife in the set - all 16 knives! I love them, and they are GREAT (NOT to mention that they are FOREVER guaranteed!), but I realize that most won't or can't afford CUTCO.

Good luck with whatever you end up with, and just know that you can always upgrade as finances allow, one at a time or a whole set.
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:12 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used a lot of different knives over the past 35 years, from J.A. Henckels, Victorinox, Sabatier, and yes, even a few Cutco knives all the way down to the cheap knockoffs of the "laser" and Ginsu knives. I even tried cutting a can in half once like the TV commercial, which didn't work as well as it looked on TV. :D

Another_Q_Lover makes a great point about your budget. All the well-known kinfe manufacturers make excellent products, and because of their expense it's often a good idea to build up a set one knife at a time.

In fact, I'll go a step further and say that your knife set doesn't even need to be all from the same manufacturer. I apprenticed as a chef for a while, and a couple of the master chefs I worked under had a collection of knives from several manufacturers in their toolkit.

For one chef who I still hang out with, it's all about finding the best tool for the job. He has a Henckels slicing knife and bread knife, a few Sabatier chef knives, some Victorinox paring knives, and a few cheap knives of indeterminate manufacturer he uses for other purposes. When he looks at buying a new knife he checks out several manufacturers and then chooses the one that fits his hand best and works best for him. (And he always buys a slip-on knife guard with it so it doesn't slash up his tool roll). :D

I'm sort of the same way, on a lower budget. If I find a good knife that does the job, and I can afford it, I buy it and it goes into my really weird heterogeneous kitchen tool collection. Except if it's one of those "laser" knives - I stay away from those now. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:25 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Thanks everybody for all the knife suggestions. It sounds like it doesn't matter what brand you buy as long as they work good for you. I for sure have a lot of suggestions to look at for sure and appreciate all the feedback
Jeff
Char-broil offset smoker- Freenie, Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Previous

Return to General Discussion