Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Swap meet steak sandwich

Swap meet steak sandwich

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:02 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

One of the swap meets I occasionally attend has a food stand that serves up grilled ribeye steak sandwiches so I thought I'd give them a try at home. The first step was to cut the steak in half.
Image Image

With a hot lump fire it didn't take long to cook them. One was seasoned with a mix of garlic powder and French herbs and I used a garlic southwestern-style rub on the other.

Sandwiches weren't part of the original plan but we had a couple of ciabatta rolls left over from chili the night before, and that's where I got the idea. And the rolls worked great on the grill.

The steaks were bigger than the rolls so after trimming I had some nice pieces left over.

Time to eat! Both steaks turned out well (but not well-done, of course!) and I didn't have a distinct preference for one or the other. I'm definitely going to make these again sometime.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've always liked a good steak sandwich in a restaurant, but that's becoming more of an oxymoron these days. Those steak sandwiches looks babulous, Brad - especially the ciabatta bread. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:48 am
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! I've never really been a big steak sandwich fan; not because I don't like them, but because I always associate steak with knife-and-fork eating. Even when I've bought "sandwich steaks" in the store I've treated them that way.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

One of our family favorites is a Philly cheesesteak sandwich made with real steak. I even sliced and grilled a whole tenderloin a month or so ago to make Philly cheesesteaks.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
One of our family favorites is a Philly cheesesteak sandwich made with real steak. I even sliced and grilled a whole tenderloin a month or so ago to make Philly cheesesteaks.

Awww. man ... It can be a steak sandwich with cheese, but if you called it a "Philly Cheesesteak" around here, I don't think I'd be able to protect you ... :D A PHILLY cheesesteak is paper thin top of round or rib eye cooked on a flat top. It can be whole slices or chopped up on the griddle, but anything over 1/16th of an inch in thickness will get you disqualified, and suspected of being from Northern New Jersey !! :lol:
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

Awww. man ... It can be a steak sandwich with cheese, but if you called it a "Philly Cheesesteak" around here, I don't think I'd be able to protect you ... :D A PHILLY cheesesteak is paper thin top of round or rib eye cooked on a flat top. It can be whole slices or chopped up on the griddle, but anything over 1/16th of an inch in thickness will get you disqualified, and suspected of being from Northern New Jersey !! :lol:

I grew up in northeast Ohio, have lived in northeast Illinois most of my adult life, and haven't been to Philly since 1983. Guess we make a midwest version of a Philly Cheesesteak. I know of an Italian deli that sells thin slice top round for the slicing challenged Italian Beef lovers around here. We usually use a sirloin or "London Broil" and I grill the meat before slicing. We do use a nice Italian hard roll slathered with garlic butter for the sandwich. Think the correct cheese is provolone or velveeta or cheese whiz. We use mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or maybe cheddar. After we assemble the sandwich we put it back on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes to let the butter and cheese melt. I like mine with sautéed onions and jalapenos topped with Heinz 57 Steak Sauce.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

The most common (default) cheese in Philadelphia is, surprisingly, white American. Whiz is very common, and provolone probably a distant third (though it is necessary on a cheese steak HOAGIE which included tomatoes, lettuce, raw onions etc.) Likewise a PIZZA steak will have mozzarella and a spin in the oven to toast the roll and melt the cheese. I usually order a cheese steak with American, (marinara or pizza) sauce and fried onion but NOT a pizza steak because the mozzarella (like provolone) seems just too bland for the sandwich when melted. Sometimes, if I'm a regular, I go for American AND Whiz (and get the roll "operated" .. scooped out to make room for the meat..) The roll texture is really important. You can toast a sort-of-stale roll and get a way with it, but a really good fresh Italian roll has a little bite the the crust, but is tender and chewy otherwise.

Well, I guess I now know what I'm hungry for ...
- Phillyjazz -

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:50 pm
BBQ Deputy

phillyjazz wrote:
You're not the only one. :wink:

A couple of towns over is a sandwich shop run by some Philly ex-pats. They use Amoroso rolls for the cheesesteaks and the potato chips are Herr's.

One of these days I'll get out the slicer and cut a steak super thin to get a more authentic effect, but around here the steak sandwiches are usually around 1/4" to 1/2".

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:37 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
phillyjazz wrote:
You're not the only one. :wink:

A couple of towns over is a sandwich shop run by some Philly ex-pats. They use Amoroso rolls for the cheesesteaks and the potato chips are Herr's.

One of these days I'll get out the slicer and cut a steak super thin to get a more authentic effect, but around here the steak sandwiches are usually around 1/4" to 1/2".

It helps if the meat is near-frozen. Slices much more easily that way. There is one place in Philly, Sonny's, that slices rib eye as they go along... Fantastic way to do it.
- Phillyjazz -

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:11 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Besides Brad's most excellent gourmet steak sammich, nuttin' beats a California roast beef and swiss with a split poblano pepper. Nice work, Brad! I really like how you got the surfaces browned and the interior rare and juicy! :D :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 am
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! So would you dip that roast beef sandwich ala Philippe's or serve it "dry"? A nice French dip would taste really good for breakfast about now!

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:09 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Thanks! So would you dip that roast beef sandwich ala Philippe's or serve it "dry"? A nice French dip would taste really good for breakfast about now!

Oh wow, I could go either way, though I could not resist a bit of au jus had I it before me... or even some beer gravy! You've got me going now, Brad. I must pick up a roast this week. :cheers:
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion