Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 40" Vertical Gas Smoker

Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 40" Vertical Gas Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
bbquy well done
well done

canvas.png
canvas.png (95.86 KiB) Viewed 1750 times

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have one of these smokers or one like it? How do you like it and how does it keep the temp?
currently: Jenn-Air 48,000 btu gasser, CG-Outlaw w/sfb, (2)Weber 22" Performer Gold, Weber Q

Cactus1 well done
well done

I've got a different model MasterBuilt digital. Holds temp great, but I've had issues with keeping my chips smoldering. There's no bottom venting and it seals tight so chips start to smolder then die out. I've used the hinged closer to allow my door to stay open just a crack for a little circulation. I also just drilled some holes in my chip holder and just above the chip holder. I don't know if this will help or not. I haven't used it since I did the drilling. I've also pulled a couple pieces of once burned charcoal out of one of my Webers, lit them, and placed those in the chip holder - that helps the chips smolder a little.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I never have been able to get cheaper electric
smokers to work either.

However, the one in question is propane fueled.

Airflow will not be a problem.
Pretty easy to hold temps but very susceptible to
outdoor temps unless it's insulated or double wall.

The thin sheet metal can't cope with cold very well
and doesn't have the mass of plate steel which
once hot holds it pretty well

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Cactus1 well done
well done

My MasterBult is electric. Insulated and very air tight - that is why my chips die out.
I've had very good success with Luhr-Jensen. I've had two over the years - each lasted about 12 - 15 years before the heating element burned out. They were very good little smokers. Only problems were there was no temperature control - they were factory precalibrated to operate somewhere, I think, in the 165 - 185 degree range - ideal for smoking fish and making jerky - and they were thin metal with no insulation making them hard to operate in cold weather. Think Luhr-Jensen finally did bring out a thermal wrap for insulation in cold weather. I used a welder's blanket that I got from one of my wife's company's suppliers.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

bbquy well done
well done

Thanks for the feedback guys! Supposedly this smoker can operate as high as 275 degrees.
currently: Jenn-Air 48,000 btu gasser, CG-Outlaw w/sfb, (2)Weber 22" Performer Gold, Weber Q

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

bbquy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys! Supposedly this smoker can operate as high as 275 degrees.

On a hot day, even a few degrees higher. I have a neighbor who bought one of these and he absolutely loves it. This is a very good rig for the price.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

bbquy well done
well done

Thanks for the info. This help alot! When I get a few extra bucks I'm gonna purchase one.

Return to General Discussion