Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What's cookin' this weekend?

What's cookin' this weekend?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7131
Location: Stoughton, WI
Here in the upper Midwest we've been having a nice stretch of weather this week and after tonight's showers clear out tomorrow morning the weekend's looking good. I'm taking Mrs. Chicken for a well-deserved mini-getaway tonight but should be back at it tomorrow and Sunday, although I don't have anything planned yet (other than some wings for the October block party). Anybody else gearing up for some grilling or barbecuing?

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Posts: 2617
Location: Valley Springs, CA
I'm trying to etch some time for practice Moink balls. My buddy really liked the panko crumbs on the outside. We will see how it goes.
Image

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:16 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5697
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
This is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm off to my parents' place. Roast turkey, most likely, as they don't grill for this holiday.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2268
Location: Southern Californy
Looking forward to your wings, Brad! Depending on my energy levels, I might get around to either meatball kebabs or burgers with Monster cheese even (if I can get a sale on the cheese). Sunday, my bro might make me some of his famous lasagna. :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Posts: 2617
Location: Valley Springs, CA
CharredGriller wrote:
This is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm off to my parents' place. Roast turkey, most likely, as they don't grill for this holiday.


What is wrong with Turkey on the grill?
Image

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:17 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7131
Location: Stoughton, WI
Nothing, but I suspect CG's looking forward to a holiday where he's not the chief cook. :wink:

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 243
Location: Illinois
A couple of slabs of ribs going on in a few minutes :D

Greg
Image

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Posts: 741
Location: Indian Head Park, IL.
CharredGriller wrote:
This is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm off to my parents' place. Roast turkey, most likely, as they don't grill for this holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving CharredGriller! I did barbecued turkey wings tonight to celebrate - 8 wings and had the meatcutter split them for me. Made a cranberry "Buffalo" sauce for them - I can Ocean Spray whole cranberries, 1 stick butter, 3 tbsp. Montego Specialties Jamaican Habanero Hot Sauce, juice of 1 lime.
Told the family that I was thankful for Columbus. Otherwise my Ohio State Buckeyes might have to play in Cleveland.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5697
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nothing, but I suspect CG's looking forward to a holiday where he's not the chief cook. :wink:


That's 100% accurate. I brought some double-smoked bison sausage and that was my whole contribution to the meal. :twisted:

Cactus1 wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
This is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm off to my parents' place. Roast turkey, most likely, as they don't grill for this holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving CharredGriller! I did barbecued turkey wings tonight to celebrate - 8 wings and had the meatcutter split them for me. Made a cranberry "Buffalo" sauce for them - I can Ocean Spray whole cranberries, 1 stick butter, 3 tbsp. Montego Specialties Jamaican Habanero Hot Sauce, juice of 1 lime.
Told the family that I was thankful for Columbus. Otherwise my Ohio State Buckeyes might have to play in Cleveland.


Thanks, Cactus1! Those wings sound amazing - how did they turn out?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Posts: 741
Location: Indian Head Park, IL.
CG - They were good. I really liked the sauce.
Always liked your comment "Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county from mishandling a bag of briquettes." Gotta relate this story ...
Wife used two of our stainless steel stock pots as a double boiler a couple weeks ago. They barely fit inside of each other. She didn't pull them apart when she finished and I guess a vacuum between the cooling water and the air pocket created a vacuum and the pots were stuck together. Tried everything that I could think of to get them apart - tapped with a rubber mallet, ice, machine oil along the rim. No luck. Had them in the garage to go into recycling and was looking at replacement pots. Dumb me ... Never thought to reheat them and see if they'd come apart. Put them on to simmer Tuesday night. I got a call and had to go out for a little while. Came home and noticed that the kitchen floor was damp like it had just been mopped. Wife said "You wouldn't believe ..." Her and her ex-sister-in-law were sitting at the table and forgot the pots were on the stove. Pots came apart with a bang getting water all over the kitchen. Said when it blew the pot actually bounced off the ceiling. Good thing it didn't go through the ceiling, wall, stove vent, kitchen cabinet, etc. or break the light fixture. If I would have been home and in my normal seat at the table, the pot would have got me in the back of the head and splashed hot water all over me.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5697
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Cactus1 wrote:
CG - They were good. I really liked the sauce.
Always liked your comment "Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county from mishandling a bag of briquettes." Gotta relate this story ...
Wife used two of our stainless steel stock pots as a double boiler a couple weeks ago. They barely fit inside of each other. She didn't pull them apart when she finished and I guess a vacuum between the cooling water and the air pocket created a vacuum and the pots were stuck together. Tried everything that I could think of to get them apart - tapped with a rubber mallet, ice, machine oil along the rim. No luck. Had them in the garage to go into recycling and was looking at replacement pots. Dumb me ... Never thought to reheat them and see if they'd come apart. Put them on to simmer Tuesday night. I got a call and had to go out for a little while. Came home and noticed that the kitchen floor was damp like it had just been mopped. Wife said "You wouldn't believe ..." Her and her ex-sister-in-law were sitting at the table and forgot the pots were on the stove. Pots came apart with a bang getting water all over the kitchen. Said when it blew the pot actually bounced off the ceiling. Good thing it didn't go through the ceiling, wall, stove vent, kitchen cabinet, etc. or break the light fixture. If I would have been home and in my normal seat at the table, the pot would have got me in the back of the head and splashed hot water all over me.


Now, I've had pots stuck together like that, and I've had tight lids do the same thing once a pot cools.

But I've never had them blow up like that. Great story - and I'm glad no one got hurt! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Posts: 1213
a little late for this, but we had wings here also. Sorry no pics of the wings after I sauced them up with a 10 pepper hot wing sauce I whipped up. These pics are of the first 36 then I did a batch of 18 and put 2 split birds on the Traeger.

ImageImageImageImageImage
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:42 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7131
Location: Stoughton, WI
Nicely done, OS! Mind if I move your post into the Block Party thread?

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:15 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Posts: 1213
Go right ahead SC, maybe I'll even try some of Cactus's turkey wings, I've always said I wanted to make hot wings using turkey wings.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:27 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Posts: 741
Location: Indian Head Park, IL.
Old Smoker wrote:
Go right ahead SC, maybe I'll even try some of Cactus's turkey wings, I've always said I wanted to make hot wings using turkey wings.

I like to do the turkey wings and have done them for years. First time I ever did them for Canadian Thanksgiving, back in 1997, I was having about 20 people over for a pot luck. Got real ambitious and ordered 50 from my butcher and had him split them. Most everybody brought some kind of side - we had a ton of food and I had a ton of turkey wings leftover. Took them to work the next day and fed everybody - They went nuts!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Next

Return to General Discussion