Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ (Irish) Nachos and Brussel Sprouts

BBQ (Irish) Nachos and Brussel Sprouts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Started to post these in the block party thread, but there are a lot of pictures and it turns out the nachos were more of a meal and less of an appetizer.

The Nachos

First I smoked the pork shoulder to 200F using hickory and a simple dry rub I applied the night prior (salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, a little brown sugar).

Cut up the fries and soak in cold water.

Do the first fry, then throw in the freezer. Meanwhile, cut and saute onions, shred cheese, pull and sauce pork.

Also, I saved some of the "pit fat" for the brussel sprouts and sauteing the onions.

Then I did the second fry and built the nachos.

I put it under the broiler to melt the cheese, then I added the banana pepper and "food lube."

Brussel Sprouts

First, I wrapped them in foil with lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper and baked for 20-30 minutes. Then, I sauteed in the rendered bacon fat and butter.

Then, I added some chicken stock and some pit fat.

After the stock reduced, I threw them under the broiler and tossed them with the bacon. Voila!

A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Cactus1 well done
well done

You are definitely CookinWithFire! That all looks great! Was at the produce store a little while ago and glanced at brussel sprouts - $3.49 lb. - What's up with that? Is there a sprout shortage this year?
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Cactus1 wrote:
You are definitely CookinWithFire! That all looks great! Was at the produce store a little while ago and glanced at brussel sprouts - $3.49 lb. - What's up with that? Is there a sprout shortage this year?

Apparently no shortage here - the missus brought home quite a few pounds of them (because they were on sale) which is the reason I'm having to get a little creative with my brussel sprout preparation.

$3.49 is a little outlandish for little cabbages.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Outstanding cook and writeup, CWF! Call them an appetizer, call them a meal...just don't call me late for dinner! :lol:

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:28 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CookinWithFire wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

Apparently no shortage here - the missus brought home quite a few pounds of them (because they were on sale) which is the reason I'm having to get a little creative with my brussel sprout preparation.

Nice job on the meal, CookinWithFire! :cheers:

You're right - that's a bit steep in price for sprouts. But also keep in mind that the brussels sprouts season is just starting, too. They need a few hard frosts to enhance their sweetness, and that's about now around here. Chances are it may even be a few weeks later down in the US.

I wish I'd got a pic, but at the farmer's market I have a booth at, they just started selling brussels sprouts this past weekend. They've got a unique way of selling them, too - they pick the entire plant out of the ground and sell it whole with the sprouts attached for $3 or so. So for a good part of the day I got to watch customers walk by my booth with 3-foot sprout bushes on their shoulders. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Griffin well done
well done

Love me some Irish nachos and those look divine. Good job.

Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
CookinWithFire wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

Nice job on the meal, CookinWithFire! :cheers:

You're right - that's a bit steep in price for sprouts. But also keep in mind that the brussels sprouts season is just starting, too. They need a few hard frosts to enhance their sweetness, and that's about now around here. Chances are it may even be a few weeks later down in the US.

I wish I'd got a pic, but at the farmer's market I have a booth at, they just started selling brussels sprouts this past weekend. They've got a unique way of selling them, too - they pick the entire plant out of the ground and sell it whole with the sprouts attached for $3 or so. So for a good part of the day I got to watch customers walk by my booth with 3-foot sprout bushes on their shoulders. :D

Thought maybe they had them mismarked or something so I checked and yep, $3.49 lb. Guy didn't know why and it's suprising because everything else is reasonably priced.
Will be going to the big farmer's market in Madison, WI in a couple of weeks. Hope to get some there if I don't find some her before. I used to buy sprouts on the bush at the farmer's market in Windsor, ON all the time when I lived in the Toledo, OH area.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion