Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Himalayan Salt Plate

Himalayan Salt Plate

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:59 pm
sroach well done
well done

So I got a himalayan salt plate for Christmas last year, I meant to break it out of the summer and honestly just forgot it was in the basement, well I found it and gave it a run this weekend.

Put it on the egg and let it come to temperature slowly. then I threw shrimp in a bowl with some Olive Oil, Garlic, and a tiny bit of Rosemary. Skewered them and cooked them on the salt plate.

The Salt plate add a nice subtle taste which made the shrimp pop. I think I am going to like using this in the future.

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very cool! What sort of care does the plate require and how long is it supposed to last?

Those shrimp look delicious...

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Very cool! What sort of care does the plate require and how long is it supposed to last?

I agree! Is it just for grilling small things or can you use it in a smoker also?
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks great. I've often wondered if it was more of a gimic thing or if it really works, Looking forward to seeing what you do with it and your results.

P.S. I hear you don't want to put that in the dishwasher or allow it to soak in water. :lol:

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 am
sroach well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:

Hey SC, they say don't soak it in water, bacteria won't adhere to it. I just flip it over so the stained side gets heated up and then scrape it off. I bought a brand new spackle knife from home depot that I labeled for FOOD ONLY and use that to scrape it. I also use this knife for my pizza stone.

as far as the shrimp, probably the best shrimp I have made, mostly cuz they were over cooked :D

cactus1 wrote:
I agree! Is it just for grilling small things or can you use it in a smoker also?

You can use it on the grill, the smoker, oven, some people keep it in the fridge and use it as a serving plater for cheese or sushi.

Griffin wrote:
Looks great. I've often wondered if it was more of a gimic thing or if it really works, Looking forward to seeing what you do with it and your results.

P.S. I hear you don't want to put that in the dishwasher or allow it to soak in water.

Griffin, I am with you, it's probably a Gimic, don't see me buying one, but now that I have it I will use it from time to time.

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:27 pm
woundedyak medium-rare
medium-rare

I got one also and kind of forgot about it. Once I remembered, it was like finding a new toy. I've learned for best results you need to get that thing hot. Like 400+. You need to bring it up to temp kind of slow. I rushed mine and it started to crack. For steaks I tried the finny method and it was by far the best filet mignon i've ever done. I found mine (12x12x4) On groupon for $35bucks with shipping. Well worth it
Primo oval XL
Weber Gold
Weber WSM
DCS 36" Pro Build In

Return to General Discussion