Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pizza slop

Pizza slop

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last night I had a taste for pizza so I decided to throw one together with pepperoni and mushrooms.

The last time I made pizza I had a problem with the bottom crust getting too done so this time I used the 26" Weber and put the briquettes in a ring around the perimeter.

Everything was going fine until I slipped the spatula under the pizza to slide it out onto the board. Oops!

The bottom crust didn't firm up much at all. :( I'm sure the lack of heat under the pan had something to do with it but the dough was also a little bit on the wet side; even so, the pizza tasted really good. Even if we did have to eat it with forks. :wink:

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I use an old pizza stone on the grill - I build a medium low fire and grill direct.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:16 am
Griffin well done
well done

It looks great, bummer it didn't turn out perfect. How many coals were you using. Maybe if you have a ring around the perimeter and then just a few or 4 scattered directly under it? You might have to play with it a few more times till you get it just right, but looks like you are heading down the right path. Don't give up yet.

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:34 am
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
Maybe if you have a ring around the perimeter and then just a few or 4 scattered directly under it?
That's what I'm thinking, along with maybe adding a few more to the outer ring. Mrs. Chicken suggested that it might make a difference if made a scratch dough instead of using a mix, too.

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Griffin wrote:
Maybe if you have a ring around the perimeter and then just a few or 4 scattered directly under it?
That's what I'm thinking, along with maybe adding a few more to the outer ring. Mrs. Chicken suggested that it might make a difference if made a scratch dough instead of using a mix, too.

Couple that with a stone, and increase the coals under it to about 8-12 and that might make a huge difference.

Soggy pizza crust is a pain at home, but it's even worse when you get it at a pizza joint like Boston Pizza. That's happened to me a few times and often that means the pizza is free (after they cook a new one). :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I used to make my Mom's recipe for pizza dough and sauce. It's been over 20 years since I've had one of my Mom's pizzas, but as far as I'm concerned, she made the best pizza I've ever eaten. I still use her sauce recipe but buy my dough from Trader Joe's. They get it fresh every day.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Truly a delicious looking pizza, Brad, especially your second photo. Indulgently rich in all the ingredients. Sorry about the mishap. Been there, done that myself. I can share with you a few things I have discovered. If one leaves any sweeteners out of the dough, one is less likely to scorch the bottom. Also, a minimum of oil helps as well (unless one is making a pan pizza, when more oil is a good thing, and that should be cooked at a lower temp than a thin dough). I find that too wet a crust means I used too much sauce. Also, if using a CI pan, I get better results if I partly cook the crust first, then add the sauce and toppings. Otherwise, I can cook an all dressed pizza on my GraniteWare pizza pan-- heats up instantly... for me works better than a stone... I luv it. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! The thought of too much sauce did cross my mind and of course the cheese and toppings hindered evaporation. I've precooked the crust before but only when making the pizza on a sheet, so I'll keep it in mind for next time. Maybe just enough to get the bottom good and dry.

Return to General Discussion