Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Hoagie) PIX

Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Hoagie) PIX

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:36 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

If you have a Vietnamese community near you, you have doubtless encountered this delectable $1-5 treat called Bahn-Mi. They are made with many kinds of meats (from Pâté to a Vietnamese version of Spam.) My favorite is stuffed with char-broiled pork called "thịt nướng" but most recipes for this are VERY complex with lots of ingredients. I decided to make a simple version.

Boneless loin pork chops were two for one at my local store. These are usually too-lean and flavorful to grill, but I found some marbled ones. First I Jaccarded them to absorb marinade, and then pounded them thin under plastic wrap to about 1/2" thickness. For a marinade, I threw together a few dashes of fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, granulated garlic and onion, a little soy, and plenty of Sugar in the Raw (I buy large boxes.) I rushed the marinade with my Eastman Marivac. Done in 30 minutes.

Lots of sugar ensures these caramelize and they cooked crispy in about two minutes per side (on a 500F hardwood coal fire.)

While they are marinating, you prepare the "veggies." If your wife is a caterer, you might have a "julienne" tool. If not, do the best you can with the carrots. Peel a cuke and slice it lengthwise. I cored the jalapenos so they wouldn't be TOO hot. Toss some sugar on top of the carrots, and they will go limp by the time you are ready to garnish. Put the Cilantro on at the last minute.

Vietnam, colonized by the French, became enamored of baguettes, but they also use rice flour which makes a lighter bread (almost like Cuban.) I scoop the roll (in S. Philly that is called "operated") to make it less bready and toast just before assembling. Also, a little swipe of Mayo is traditional.. ahh, the French...

This pork can also be served with rice or noodles (rice vermicelli) with some crushed peanuts on top and some additional sauce of fish sauce, soy and Siracha if you like it extra hot.

Anyway, a nice exotic take on what would otherwise be a bland pork chop.. These could be eaten room temp for tailgates ... Just be sure and put the Cilantro on at the last minute or it tastes like dish detergent.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:42 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like the real deal, PJ! You should post your photos in the "Block Party" thread since you used pork.

Funny you should post this...earlier today I was thinking about a cheesesteak-style sandwich made with pork instead of beef!

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Looks awesome! Love the sandwich for sure.

There is a Filipino & Vietnamese Food Truck that parks a block away from work and they serve a crazy awesome Bahn Mi sandwich with chicken in adobo and well it looks just likes yours. Nice job!

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Those definitely look good. I've seen a lot of interesting things to try in Steve's books, especially Planet Barbecue, but I do not have an adventurous family and some things I would like to try get vetoed.
Funny, I have a four year old grandson who is at the "picky" eater stage. Grandma tells him "Don't say you don't like it without even trying it."
Grandma should follow her own advice some times because there have been things she has liked if I can get her to try them.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks like the real deal, PJ! You should post your photos in the "Block Party" thread since you used pork.

Funny you should post this...earlier today I was thinking about a cheesesteak-style sandwich made with pork instead of beef!

I agree, Philly - those pics ought to go in the Block Party.

And considering I eat about 5 of these a month from a vendor across the street from my office, I'd say those are the real deal. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

This looks amazing! Grilling the pork takes Vietnam's national sandwich to a whole new level. Nice work.

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 am
Griffin well done
well done

:shock: Wow, Philly, wow. I am at a loss for words. I think I just drooled a bit on my keyboard. To heck with breakfast, I want one of those right now.

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
This looks amazing! Grilling the pork takes Vietnam's national sandwich to a whole new level. Nice work.

Yes it does. The place across the street offers grilled pork as one of their fillings and it's their best seller. They sell twice as much as any other type they offer.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

The key flavors of the pork marinade are fish sauce, and caramelized sugar.. also, some onion/garlic. You can get fancy and use shallots. There are lots of complex recipes, but I found a good fish sauce, a little low-sodium soy, a splash of vinegar (I used rice wine), granulated garlic/onion basically did the trick to make it taste like it does in the Vietnamese shops.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to General Discussion